$1050.00 for a gear ratio change

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my shop (my dads shop) charges just around 250 (labor) for gear install if you get them from him - 300 if you bring in your own - he does everyone's around here and even if it takes him 8 hours to get them just right with no noise etc it will still be right around 250...just because he is anal like that - but i have only seen him spend over 5 hours on a gear install one time...my car hahahahaha it would make noises every single time we would get it all together and go drive it...haha but again we fight with my car more than anyone elses

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We charge more labor if you supply the parts. Main issue is when you get the wrong part and i have your car apart trying to get a new one it costs us alot of time hence why we charge more per hour if you bring the parts. Or i have some one that shows up with a busted set of gears that "only" have 50,000 miles on them and we cant get a pattern.
it works this way at most shops - shops order parts they are familar with - yes on an everyday car like a ford minivan you can bring in your own parts but come on if the shop can get it within the same ball park and they know all the in's and out's installing that specific brand like where the good pattern is, why wouldnt you just trust them? my .02 cents

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
$120.00 an hour for labor? :roflmao:

Yes sir. See our difference is our yearly insurance is over 25000 a year. you are covered if the shop burns down or some tractor trailer pulls in the parking lot and rips your bumper off. You know what ever the case maybe. Alot of people dont think of that. Also we are in Maryland not the cheapest state to run a business any one from here can tell you real estate is very very expensive. hence our rent is pricey.

My shops labour rate went to $144 today. Nobody's laughing. Northern Alberta is $200 per hour. $120 is looking pretty decent now isn't it?

We just raised ours when our insurance/rent went up. we used to be 100.

You charge extra for labor even if the the gears and install kit are new? In the case of new gears, it should be easy to verify that the parts are the correct ones just by looking at the box(es). Even if they're not new, if you guys are that experienced, you should be able to tell if the parts are "wrong" before the car even goes up on the lift, saving everyone involved time and money.

Regarding used parts, that's up to the customer, and maybe you shouldn't provide a warranty if they're using used parts, especially where gears are concerned.

I understand you guys have to charge for labor, and I'm not about argue about your typical hourly rate, but charging *extra* for labor simply because the customer brought his own parts seems over the top to me. If the parts are somehow defective, he's still going to have to pay you labor to swap them out again. As long as you warn him ahead of time that this is going to be the way it happens, you're in the green on the up-front meter.

I'm not gonna say your practices are a ripoff, but there are different ways to handle it that don't cost the customer more up front. Just sayin...

It has just been our policy for many years.

The 2 Most recent examples that comes to mind are.

A guy brought be brand new BBK headers to install every thing looked correct and we said no problem. We installed the headers and they went on fine. When we tried to bolt up the X pipe we had a bunch of issues. The Ball and Sockets were the wrong size so it had a major leak and wouldnt seal. I had to call the customer ask where he bought it so they could contact BBK to get a RMA and a new pipe coming (we sell bbk but we are not direct) so now i have to take his car off the lift and store it for 5 days while we get a new x pipe. If i had sold him headers say Pypes or Kooks or what ever i would of called them and had them get me a pipe ASAP. alot of times we can get the part sent to us Next day because we have pull with vendors. So then the car would of only been down a "day" instead i have to keep it for an extra week while some one else figures out all the paper work on getting us a new X pipe. Soi think an extra 10 bucks an hour (60 bucks) to store your car for a week inside out of rain in a secure building with an alarm is more then fair.

Another example is we tuned a car with "60#" injectors well they were not 60s and we had the car on the dyno for a LONG time trying to figure out the issue was. those are just 2 small examples.

Its not like im trying to charge 200 an hour to install parts you bring but there seems to always be an issue. hence the additional charge.

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
If you are in the Portland Area, 6 states does a great job. $325 if I remember right, and they warranty there labor. They had great prices on gears to when I got mine there last year.
Portland

6011 NE Columbia Blvd.
Portland,
(503) 249-1010
Toll free ( only): (800) 452-9365
Toll free: (800) 547-7024

fullthrtle

forum member
Reaction score
Man I wish you lived by me. I have a 2014 with 3.31. I would swap the rearends myself. But I'm in Tennessee so that's out of the question. The dealership i work at charges 400 labor +parts.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Old thread I know, but wanted to bump with some new info. I'm looking at putting some 3.73 in this spring because I want more midrange go. Off the line its moot because if I give it I just spin the tires but from 25-50 mph I'd like a little more punch than my 3.31's can give.

Anyway I called 5 shops and here is what I found. I live in central Wisconsin, I've held back the names because I think its the right thing on a public forum. But if anyone wants to know who is who just PM me.

Shop A - $400-600 in labor
Shop B - $750 in labor
Shop C - $500 in labor
Shop D - Won't do them
Shop E - $430 in labor

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
$400-500 seems to be typical. Same prices in California, I'm going the other way with mine. 3.73 to 3.31 mainly for highway mileage due to my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
That's pretty high for around here (middle TN). A couple of places I've checked are in the $250 range for labor.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't the thread bumper need a tq converter, not gears?

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed, TC would be FAR FAR FAR FAR better than gears. I had 3.73s in my 2012, went back to 3.31s. Then did a 4C convertor. It was the best mod, to any car, ever.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
This thread is going to get derailed, sorry.

The research I've seen is that not everyone feels that a torque converter is right for cars with PD blowers do to the amount of torque and power those PD blowers make at low RPM's.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
those prices all seem high, it's about 3 hours of labor - so $275-350 depending on location

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes; I would think $200-300 for the install, maybe $450 if they are supplying the gears.

Exact;y what I paid. from speed shop here in Lewisville, Tx. Dealer says 6-7 hours at $135 hr. plus parts

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my 4.56 gears, bearings and Royal Purple fluids. For $350 they installed and provided some thicker shims. That was MPE Racing in Taunton, MA. Chris is s nice guy and they did nice work.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I bought my 4.56 gears, bearings and Royal Purple fluids. For $350 they installed and provided some thicker shims. That was MPE Racing in Taunton, MA. Chris is s nice guy and they did nice work.

yup, pretty much the going rate around here. You need to remember that not all shops will do the same quality job. Do some research and make sure they know how to do it correctly so it doesn't make a lot of noise.

Also, agree that Chris at MPE is an awesome guy.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Dealership will always be higher. They book at Flat Rate so Labor will be the hourly rate times the amount of book hours plus parts. Theta price at a Dealer is actuaaly somewhat good. We are Mod friendly here so we have a package price for Gear Installas and have worked out a deal with our differential guy so he is happy as well.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
None of the places I called were dealerships. Two of them were performance shops and 2 were transmission shops. The one that said no was an all around repair shop I've used locally for some stuff and liked their work.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I can also tell you that alot of Performance Shops in Florida are charging more for Labor. There has been a bad run of Gears and if the job has to possibly warrantied they are getting paid up front for the possibility of doing the job a second time.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Exact;y what I paid. from speed shop here in Lewisville, Tx. Dealer says 6-7 hours at $135 hr. plus parts

Im doing my sons tomorrow and that is about what it takes me, but I am working with jacks and a garage floor and I pull the rear end and put it on jack stands when I do gears. Without a lift it is just too hard with the rear in the car on your back. If I had a lift it would be a 3 hr job tops.

$400 for a shop is what I have paid IIRC.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back