125K miles, what to do next?

302me

Reaction score
LIke the title says I have little over 125K miles on my 06'. I have done all the typical maintenance and normal up keep since the day I bought it new w/ 6 miles on the odometer. Nothing too aggressive so far, aside from a set of Pypes LT's, 4:10 gears and a Hurst STS. I'm not a mechanic or gear head by far, but I have a few ideas of what I want. For the time being, meaning years to come, I want to stay N/A.

Should I get a set of cams and PP heads and leave the stock internals alone, or should I start fresh w/ a new shortblock and work from there? The car still runs like a raped ape. I just drove it 400 miles from Philly to NH and it drives like the day I bought her.

I'm just concerned if I"m going to be wasting my money getting a set of cams and PP heads for a motor that has so many miles on it, or if because I'm pretty anal about the care of the car I souhldn't be worried about it and just get it done.

Any opinions either way is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn!!!! 125K miles is pretty dang good for a muscle car...... keeping the oil changed speaks for itself

302me

Reaction score
Oil/filter every 5k miles, two alternators, new set of plugs, fuel filter every 30k miles, trans fluid just 100k. She runs like new, shifts like butter and still breaks the wheels lose shifting into 3rd.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on what your goals are for the car. Do you eventually want to go the F/I route? I would purchase a shortblock and start building it. If your staying the n/a route, I really can't see rods/pistons failing and ruining your heads. Your more likely to spin a bearing or see a loss in compression from the rings. Assuming that happens, I would look into another stock shortblock to transfer your heads over to and keep on driving. Have you done a compression check on the motor?

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
What are your goals?

IMHO, find yourself a nice set of NSR cams (~$700) get an email tune and run that motor to the ground. No sense in tearing into the engine just yet because it sounds like this is your DD. NSR cams arn't that expensive to get installed b/c they don't require a spring change and a pretty damn safe.

Also, you didn't mention if you have a CAI or not. If you don't definitely get a JLT or C&L.

I have COMP NSR II cams and i love them. They don't have much lope though (they are performance oriented).

FYI, stay away from FRPP cams.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
If you want to get a forged engine in there I would recommend buying a shortblock and going from there. I had my stock engine bored and stroked to a 302 stroker and it was a pain in the ass. The shop had my car for 10 weeks, many problems along the way with wrong parts being shipped and small issues along the way.

My vote would be getting one of the shortblocks that US-1 is selling through his company Shadowlands Performance. SD knows his shit and he'll build you what you want and I'm sure he'll give you great advise along the way.

302me

Reaction score
I figure since down the line I might eventually go FI, I might as well go with a new shortblock. I'm only staying N/A now because I'm onr of the many working poor and of course all the extra cheese I get out of my paycheck goes into the car. I think I'm going to start from scratch and get a new forged shortblock. thanks for the opinions and advice, it's much appreciated.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I would go with a new shortblock, especially if you plan on boosting it.

+1 on going with SD and a Shadowlands shortblock, the add a set of P&P heads with a good set of cams. See how you like the new power and then go from there.

302me

Reaction score
+1 on going with SD and a Shadowlands shortblock, the add a set of P&P heads with a good set of cams. See how you like the new power and then go from there.

A just love the sound of a lopey cam and saying I'm N/A. I was looking at the Shadowlands website and I'm all ready making a list. :thumb:

calimustang

forum member
Reaction score
What are your goals?

IMHO, find yourself a nice set of NSR cams (~$700) get an email tune and run that motor to the ground. No sense in tearing into the engine just yet because it sounds like this is your DD. NSR cams arn't that expensive to get installed b/c they don't require a spring change and a pretty damn safe.

Also, you didn't mention if you have a CAI or not. If you don't definitely get a JLT or C&L.

I have COMP NSR II cams and i love them. They don't have much lope though (they are performance oriented).

FYI, stay away from FRPP cams.

why stay away from FRPP hot rod cams?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back