17x4.5" Racestars...fitment...not ideal...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I pulled a front wheel off my '05 yesterday and put one of my shiny new Racestar 17x4.5" wheels on the car (sans tire).

I put a jack under the control arm and lifted it until the weight of the car was on the jack. I held a long straight edge (broom stick) to the fender and estimated the gap from the boom stick to the edge of the wheel. The gap was about 1/4".

While the wheel fits under the car, once you put a tire on the wheel it will have about a 3/4" bulge, most of which will be outside the fender. Unacceptable.

So I need more backspace on these two wheels. They will easily support being machined to remove 1/2" of material. I need to find a local machine shop to cut these wheels.

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
Not sure if the newer ones are different than mine, but mine don't stick out at all. I say mount the tire and set it on the ground to get a better look.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another measurement I took was from the highest point on the brake caliper to the rear face of the spokes. It was 1.25". Pictures of other wheels I see on this site show what looks like much less than that.

I found some big pics of your car and the space between your brake rotors and the wheel spokes look much smaller than what I observed on my car.

I think my wheels are different.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
My fronts are the old Greg Welds. I think the new ones may be a little different. You could probably call Brenspeed or one of the other vendors and ask them whats up. Post up a pic of the wheel on the car.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I forgot to take my camera, so I don't have any pictures.

I did a little research and found out where the erroneous 2.25" backspace number came from. It came from when the 17x4.5" wheel was a Greg Weld Racing wheel. They were 2.25" backspace on the same size wheel.

I suspect the guys at Racestar Industries, when they re-engineered the wheel, never changed the spec on the backspace on the website. They changed the backspace to clear big brakes it seems, but in doing so F'd up the fitment IMO.

For me to use these wheels I gotta find a someone who will mill off 1/2" (13mm) of material. Otherwise they do not meet my personal fitment standards.

I can totally understand Racestar not wanting to make and stock 2 different back spacings because it ties up capital, but the fitment is not truly right as is. They would do a better service to the customer by offering two backspaces/offsets. One for the big brake cars (what they currently offer) that need the extra space and one for regular GT's (2" backspace would be great).

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have some shortened lower control arms from aje laying out in the back yard, if you want to try them. i'm sure they'll require some fabrication of some sort with perhaps the strut towers. they appear to be about 1.5 inches shorter than stock a arms. i'll nearly give them away, if you pay shipping.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Removing .500" from the mounting pad of a wheel sounds like a recipe for epic disaster.

I agree. I wouldn't even consider driving them on the street that way.

Well I guess it's good I'm not either of you.

If you look at the wheels, which came with exactly 1/2" less material in this exact spot when made by Greg Weld, you can see that it's not a concern. It's obvious that Racestar simply machines off less material on the hub to increase the back setting/offset. In reality, I think you could cut nearly an inch off without trouble.

This mod would be no more or less dangerous than the guys cutting and narrowing stock or aftermarket wheels.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took some pictures of the hub.

Consider these "before" pics. I found a guy local that is going to cut them. It think it may void the warranty...LOL!! As if I cared.

Attachments

• Hub 1.JPG
    Hub 1.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Hub 2.JPG
    Hub 2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Hub 3.JPG
    Hub 3.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 30

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think it's innovative. i'm not sure i would try it though. but i still like the thinking outside the proverbial "box"

we need to see pictures of them on the car when you're done

i just notice the "made in china"....i guess that's to be expected these days

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think it's innovative. i'm not sure i would try it though. but i still like the thinking outside the proverbial "box"

we need to see pictures of them on the car when you're done

i just notice the "made in china"....i guess that's to be expected these days

My friend said I should grind off the "Made in China". ha ha!!

I found a place in Nevada that does this too. I also found that many Mazda Miata Spec racers modify wheels in this way for their cars. Some even change bolt pattern. Before the guys at Racestar bought these from the former Greg Weld Motorsports, this wheel was available with the offset I will end up with.

I'm also now considering taking some off the back wheels too. Might as well go "all in".

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The local "guy" wasn't returning my calls so I went back on the hunt and stumbled upon a local shop with a CNC mill that is going to cut 1/2" off and match the existing hub surface. It'll be the same less the 1/2" material. $50/wheel. Dropped off the wheels last night. He said they should be done by Monday if not sooner.

I'll post up some pics of the "after" once I get them back.

I was thinking about taking some off the rears, but I think they are at the minimum already. So they will remain as is.

Last edited:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Your skirting around the situation man, to be honest I wouldn't run them.

Your modifying the structural integrity of the wheel even removing that 1/2" of material.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your skirting around the situation man, to be honest I wouldn't run them.

Your modifying the structural integrity of the wheel even removing that 1/2" of material.

I will run them.

I am modifying the the structural integrity. I am actually making them stronger.

I would also point out the 17 x 9.5" has less than half the pad height and more than twice the width. I fail to see how this will weakening the structural integrity.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with my CNC guy. He said he had a machine problem yesterday and he would be cutting them today. I will pick them up tomorrow since I have my 2nd passover dinner with the wife's family tonight.

If I have time I will put one of the wheels (without tires) on the car again this weekend and take pictures. I may try to simulate how they were without the material cut off for a before/after side-by side kind of thing. That's if I can find 1/2 material to make up the space.

Mother nature's being a whore and I still don't have the car out of winter storage and on the road yet this year....grrrrr...... It'll be May before it's out now. Easter with my family this weekend and Carlisle next weekend. I'm getting sick of driving that Toyota Corolla.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
make sure you open the door wide for Elijah tonight!

Have a nice Seder

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back