17x9.5 17x10.5 staggered wheels on 2008 GT

tang-o

Reaction score
For track use. I'm thinking of going 17x9.5 and 17x10.5 staggered on a 2008 GT.
For tires, 275/40 front and 295/40 rear.
Does anybody run a similar setup?

I was looking at Enkei's RPF01 (http://enkei.com/size_chart/RPF1.pdf) but these only go up-to 10 width. So it will mean 17x9 and 17x10 instead.

any suggestions or comments?

thank you!

----
have a nice day
please drive through

Last edited:

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
For track use, go same size front and rear. You don't want to emphasize understeer and you want to be able to rotate tires. You are on the right track with the Enkei wheels though, they are a good wheel. With a 17" wheel you will not be able to upgrade your brakes if you decide to do that at some point. The RPF01 comes in an 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 which would require a small spacer. Call Sam Strano to see what kind of spacer you would need.

tang-o

Reaction score
more thoughts

Wheel size will probably remain at 17 the way I'm thinking about this. Mainly because of weight, mass, and $$$$ associated with wheels and tires.
There are some brake kits that will fit 17" tires so I will probably stick with those when I upgrade the brakes.

Staggered setup sounded nice but folks are right. It takes a bit of tuning to cure the understeer and although it is nice to be able to power out of the corners my stock GT does not generate that much power to convince me that staggered is the way to go in particular if I'm concerned about $$$ in tires - so i've come full circle.

So I'm leaning towards 17x9.5 with 275/40 . Another alternative is 17x10 but not sure if I will be pushing the limits.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
17x10 could fit with the correct offset, I have the Roush cast 18x10 wheels and they don't rub. If you get 18x10 then you can try to find some used Continental race rubber. Whelen Engineering's Corvette team is down the street from me and the front tires off that car would fit my rims. I think they are usually pretty cheap, I just bought a house so a set of extra wheels for slicks aren't really in the budget for me, especially for autocross.

tang-o

Reaction score
Congrats on the house :)
Let's see how this goes. I got 1 RPF1 17x9.5 from tire rack to test fit. From what you are saying it looks like I will need a spacer anyway. I will call this person Sam.

Thanks!

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
That isn't really fair to Sam, I get annoyed at work when a client has us come up with a plan for a construction plan and then hires someone else to do the work. Kind of the same thing as buying wheels from someone else and asking Sam how to make them fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back