1980 Trans Am. Childhood dream car.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
By the luck of a coworker needing a rear end out this 1980 Trans Am for his Camaro I will be getting the car from him in a month and I am as giddy as a kid about it. The reason this car means so much to me is my dad had one when I was a kid. I remember being about 4 years old in the front seat with the t-tops off, and us goofing off in a parking lot. His was gray, and this one will be too. It is the only memory I have of him that is car related before he had a stroke and was unable to walk and barely speak before he died some years later.

It will be a long project for me, but the memory with it will be worth it, and I will get to make new memories in it down the line. I am thinking Magnetic or Dark Shadow Gray for paint, 1978 front end swap, black screaming chicken, engine undecided, 17 inch snowflake wheels color matched to car, and manual trans. Here are a couple pictures he got for me as it sits on his trailer.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I always loved those cars. My first car was a 1980 Trans Am. It had a God awful 301 in it, I put a 454 in it and it woke it right up. Unfortunately the rest of the car didn't appreciate the added HP and TQ... Lol

Good luck with the car and I look forward to seeing the progress.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I always loved those cars. My first car was a 1980 Trans Am. It had a God awful 301 in it, I put a 454 in it and it woke it right up. Unfortunately the rest of the car didn't appreciate the added HP and TQ... Lol

Good luck with the car and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Luckily this is a blank slate for me. No motor/trans with it so I get to go whatever route I want and throw whatever I need to at it to make sure it appreciate's it. My buddy is trying to get me to go the LSx route with it. I like the idea, but it is not set in stone yet. I have plenty of time to decide on that. I just look forward to weekends in the garage with my future step kid teaching her how to work on this stuff.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
Always partial to those. Good luck with the build. Please keep us posted!

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Our a 5.8l mod motor in it and piss off the Pontiac purists. Good luck

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Our a 5.8l mod motor in it and piss off the Pontiac purists. Good luck

I don't mind pissing purists off one bit, but I have a few motors in the garage already if I wanted to do that, but none of them Ford or GM. I have an rv 440, a 1969(iirc) HP440, and a little 318 that came out of my old Dart. One is destined to be a coffee table, the other I will build and put in a duster when I find one I like, and the HP will find its way into a charger or challenger years from now.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ls based 427, t56, viper steel gray, with the polished 20" snowflake reproduction wheels. Not quite pro-touring styling, but modern flair on a nostalgic platform.

Best of luck with it! Start a thread, I know everybody wouldbe interested in watching.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
My dad took me home from the hospital in his new Trans Am. This one had the "real" Pontiac 400 (the Olds 403 was also offered).

Later, he had a gray '81 Turbo Trans Am. The '78 was a faster car but I always liked that cool offset scoop hood of the Turbo T/As.

I'm partial to them for a lot of the same reasons you are. Good luck with it! :clap:

dannybaby2-1.jpg

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
My dad took me home from the hospital in his new Trans Am. This one had the "real" Pontiac 400 (the Olds 403 was also offered).

Later, he had a gray '81 Turbo Trans Am. The '78 was a faster car but I always liked that cool offset scoop hood of the Turbo T/As.

I'm partial to them for a lot of the same reasons you are. Good luck with it! :clap:

dannybaby2-1.jpg

That's an awesome picture. Pretty cool.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
When I was a kid my uncle used to race against his friends formula 400, pretty cool car. He had a 64 1/2 red 289 4v convertible. It was always a close run

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Love all the replies and personal stories with older cars. He knows I am itching to bring it home. Even offered to help him swap the rear ends out on the thing so it can be done sooner. Hopefully I have it at my place, and starting to work on in the next couple weeks.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
That is one of my dream cars as well. I hope to have one someday. Congrats on picking this one up!

But you are a danged fool if you don't paint it black with the gold decals. Bandit FTW!

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with the project! I wish I had luck finding the car my mom had when I was little. But, even if I did find one the sticker shock would ruin it for me most likely. It was a 1970 Hemi Cuda in Plum Crazy purple that she sold for $3,500 in late 1979 when I was 5. I can still remember her telling me to hold on tight, while sitting in the front seat with a lap belt on, when she used to race people to the speed limit from stoplights.

Needless to say I have a hard time watching Mecum and Barrett Jackson auctions.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back