2 videos of Carputer...Going to attempt to transplant into 2008

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So the 2 videos are kinda long but they show off my carputer pretty nice and what it can do...which is a crap ton of stuff. I have the factory nav/sirius in the 2008, but I still wish I had the carputer in there. Where I had it in the 2004 GT was mounted at the top of the windshield (touchscreen was basically where the rearview mirror is) via a hand fabbed steel/painted bracket secured to the roof under the headliner. I've been scoping it out and i really think I could get it in the 2008 even easier since I can remove the overhead light area for easy access to the area where I would need to secure the bracket...

Carputer has these specs:
1.1ghz extremely low power AMD Geode processor, 512mb, Windows XP Pro (some stuff stripped and way optimized), dedicated 12v IC controlled power supply (225w if i remember..system at full load was using around 145w), 100gb HDD, Wireless N adapter, 9" Touchscreen, Rear Cam, 9db Wireless N aux antenna, XMPCR Sat radio adapter, Bluetooth dongle, silicon roll up type keyboard (goes on top of the driver side visor so you can fold it down and type..very convenient), very flat surface mount touchpad mouse that can act as left click, right click and scroll all from one flat surface. SIRF III GPS antenna with Iguidance software. The computer itself is in a extremely tiny case and i had it mounted behind the passenger side floor mat with some hand fabbed brackets. All installation and wiring was done the PITA way, i.e., the right way and all hidden like.

Plays Video
MP3/WMA/etc etc
Wireless N Internet
XM Satellite Radio
Voice Navigation
Weather Updates via GUI
Traffic Updates via GUI
tons and tons of other stuff...most demonstrated on the videos.

I did all the artwork to the opening screen, wallpaper, and customized the skin (not on video..added later)

If I didn't have the factory nav unit, I would just fab up a enclosure for the touchscreen and mount it there.

My question is.......

Do you guys think it would look ok or gay where I described it if I could pull it off....even though i have the other Nav. I'd basically be using it for all the other cool stuff. Surfing the internet and sending an IM to someone while listening to sat radio and having the nav tell you to turn is pretty frickin convenient...My kids loved it on long trips.

Attachments

• DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00141.JPG
    DSC00141.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info

Thanks for the video info.

Is it working now for the preview?

I can't tell because youtube video stays blanked out white on this work computer.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Where did you find the details to build one and aprox. cost?

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Best site for it

www.mp3car.com forums anything and absolutely everything you could possibly want to know.

RoadRunner is the most full featured, free, and skinned/skinnable front end on there. Centrafuse is pay to use, also pretty nice but overall can't do everything RoadRunner can. Centrafuse also crashed on me quite a bit. Roadrunner very rarely would crash, almost never.

For the actual hardware, I paid 4 ish for the main mini computer and added the GPS antenna, Wifi booster antenna, XMPCR and such from there. Ebay...search for carputer and you will start to see some nice prices and offerings. There are a few websites you can get them from fully and partially configured already, but most will cost you more than buying from Ebay.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That'll be pretty sweet in your ride!

I think you've got the baddest '08 in the Bay brother!

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
taking pics

Going to take some pics of the touchscreen and how I want to mount it...going to need some opinions on it. Gotta do it tomorrow cause theres no light.

The good part is that the way I installed it last time and the way I would this time, there was no permanent dmg to the interior/exterior. I actually pulled into a parking lot on the way to trade the car in on the 08 and had it completely uninstalled and car back together in about 10 minutes...took frickin 8+ hours to install with all the hand fabbing..hahaha

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the website! This is definitely what i'm putting in all of my vehicles! What do you think your total cash invested was in the puter?

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
650-700

650-700 or so. I didn't pay for the Iguidance software, cough cough.

Adding pictures to the first post of the components...Terrible pictures cause i used daughters camera..can't find mine still.

The picture with the touchscreen up to the roof....I don't think I want to put it there although it would work perfectly because there is stupid easy access to mount the bracket with some modification. Problem is that I would have to remove my rearview like I did last time, but this one is the auto dimming with compass one and I kinda dig it.

I may just put it in my wifes grand cherokee and be done.

Black Tooth Grin

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have always thought carputers were pretty cool, but honestly just couldn't see why I would need one over what I currently have other than maybe running datalogging software on it without having a laptop laying in the seat.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back