2005 GT throwing a sometimes intermittant, sometimes solid PO340.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
05 GT. The PO340 code will flash the check engine light at times and run roughly when it does then the check engine light will go out completely and run fine. Other times it will continuously show the check engine light but run perfectly... Has been happening for over 6 months about once a month average. I replaced the Cam Position Sensor (OEM), checked the wiring, had the battery tested.. As an intermittent problem, I need advice from someone who has really been into troubleshooting PO340.. HELP...

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
When you get a cam position sensor code, the cause is seldom the sensor itself. The commonest causes are a faulty alternator diode (allows AC current to leak into CPS circuit) and a faulty VCT solenoid.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
I checked the Alternator at the battery for AC. The lowest setting is 2 Volts. Note: Tested with a decent Harbor Freight Meter.. What are the limits and it's only coding the bank 1 fault.. Does the test at an auto parts store test for AC with their battery / Alternator Test? Thanks for the input. Oh, car has been stored inside 90 % of it's life and has 53 K Miles

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You need to perform an AC ripple test to rule out a faulty alternator diode. There are instructional videos in Youtube that you'll find useful.
A code only on bank 1 suggests that the problem is specific to the passenger side so I suggest you pull the VCT solenoid on that side and inspect it. If the mesh screen is gummed up, give it a thorough cleaning and repeat the procedure on the driver's side.
You might want to check the entire engine bay for evidence of rodent activity (rat's nest, chewed up plastics/wiring). The valley below the intake manifold is a popular area for rat's nests.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back