2006 Mustang GT Misfire/Runs Rough

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought myself this 2006 Mustang GT as a project, I've always wanted one, I come from the world of clapped out Volkswagens, and I'm not as familiar with how these cars behave. I'll link a video, but the car seems to be intermittently down a cylinder, I've already done coils and plugs, is there anything I should look at next, any way to diagnose if its a fuel injector or another component, hit me with what you got. The car is stock outside from the CAI, and a cat delete the previous owner did, (and cherrybombs) the car is NOT tuned. Codes p0316 and p0300, video below of the sound/codes/it running.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ahQw3NL3jV0?feature=share

GriffX

Reaction score
You can measure the resistance of the ignition coils. Should be around 4 kOhm (if I can remember correctly).
All coils should have approximately the same value.

07 Boss

Reaction score
It's going to be tough to track this down but it looks like it's not effecting one particular cylinder so I would look at broader causes as opposed to individual ignition or fuel components. I mean it could be anything from a crank sensor to an EGR valve.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Are they aftermarket coil packs? Some of the aftermarket are notorious for misfires. how many miles is on the car? you are probably going to need to do a compression test to make sure the engine is healthy.

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
It's going to be tough to track this down but it looks like it's not effecting one particular cylinder so I would look at broader causes as opposed to individual ignition or fuel components. I mean it could be anything from a crank sensor to an EGR valve.
Ill check both the EGR and Crank pos sensor, any reccommendations on how to check those parts, or should I just play it safe and order replacement ones ?

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
Are they aftermarket coil packs? Some of the aftermarket are notorious for misfires. how many miles is on the car? you are probably going to need to do a compression test to make sure the engine is healthy.
The ones i pulled off were OEM, the ones I put on were aftermarket but all read properly with a multimeter, The car only has 130k, motor is original.

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
When i bought the car initially it had a code for a cylinder 2 miss, but after clearing and a few drive cycles that is what popped up, I guess I can take a datalog tomorrow to and from work and post it here.

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
Lets hope I did this right, I went ahead and took a trip to my local Oreiley's, (had to pick up some 3m tape for mounting something anyways). I just hit datalog on my way before I headed out, played with the car a bit so you could see anything, I'm not an expert on what I should be seeing here so I trust yall's more experienced brains. (This run was done WITH a Brenspeed 93 tune made for my car with its mods and CAI, just wanted to rule that possibility out).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETDDspFUfSBAKLJPeZKZCusvRgzmM_-J/view?usp=sharing

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
P0316 misfire at startup, google it.
Could be fuel/spark, could be crank sensor or cam sensor.
I would put stock airbox on and restore to stock (remove tune). This costs nothing to do.

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
P0316 misfire at startup, google it.
Could be fuel/spark, could be crank sensor or cam sensor.
I would put stock airbox on and restore to stock (remove tune). This costs nothing to do.

I tried that before posting, I thought the same and figured it was worth a shot.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Random thought...

Have you verified that all 8 sparks plugs have not backed out? With my 2005, I had 2 sparks plugs back out. Happened 2 times in the first 1500 miles. After 50,000 miles, have not had any issues.

Reminds me. I should toss some new plugs in.

46addict

Reaction score
Compression test first to rule out the possibility of something more serious.
If that checks out then I would start looking at the crank sensor. If one of the cam sensors went bad I would think it would throw a cam sensor code for that bank, not a random misfire code.

Before you start buying parts though I would put the OE coils back on. Aftermarket coils get be trusted even if the resistance is good. Then pull back the wire loom on the coil pack/cam sensor/crank sensor wiring harnesses to make sure nothing is frayed or broken.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I had a misfire back in May. I tried changing the plugs, but no effect. I tried changing the coils, but no effect. I could hear the fuel injectors working, so I took it to a shop w/ the expensive analyzers. Turned out it was my computer. I hope that's not the case for you. I would, at this point, take it to a shop with an analyzer.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back