2007 GT Battery draining, alternator tested good

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Was just reading about the alternator unit on 3V GT's. There is actually a one way clutch in the alternator pulley that disengages during "high accelerator rates" of the engine. It's function is described as reducing NVH in the belt system at higher RPM. Don't know if this is a friction style clutch of mesh style clutch mechanism. But if it begins disconnecting at lower RPM, less voltage generation will be cause or NO voltage generation. This may not be detected at the lower speeds a parts store would spin the alternator at when testing which may explain why they sometimes test good. Check the manual on the theory. I'm taking straight from the Ford tech manuals. Sounds weird I know. But it's there. Oddly the 4.0L unit does not have this device. According to specs the alternator needs to spin at 1800 rpm (not engine RPM) minimum to produce max current output.

S8MS-01904

I fix things
Reaction score
Simply, it involves pulling the radio and popping it open to expose the CD wiring connector. Just unplug the CD wire harness from circuit board. Reinstall and good to go.

About a 40 minute job start to finish. Google it for pictures on how to remove radio.

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
An alt with a bad diode can read good voltage. Need to test the diode if you think it's the alternator. Trust me, I'm about to put my sixth alternator in.

How does one go about checking diode on alternator?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
buy a pioneer call it a day.

I may actually go with something like this Blaupunkt:

x023NJ220BT-F.jpg

...or maybe a toggle switch panel in place of a radio. I'll start with swapping the battery first. It's probably due (I've owned her for 3 years now).

46addict

Reaction score
Simply, it involves pulling the radio and popping it open to expose the CD wiring connector. Just unplug the CD wire harness from circuit board. Reinstall and good to go.

About a 40 minute job start to finish. Google it for pictures on how to remove radio.
Will this disable the radio's ability to take/eject CDs, or just the shuffling function?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back