2007 GT500 or 2013 Boss 302

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Both could be had for low 30's so which one would you get and why? I love them both and can't decide which one's better.

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
Both are very nice and make good power. You can make some good power with both vehicles. Just need to test drive both and go with what you think you will like driving more. Here is mine love driving it when I get a chance to.

Attachments

• gt500 lowered.jpg
    gt500 lowered.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 23

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, go drive em both. Different cars, different setups.

Me personally, I want a Shelby. I'd spend a little extra and pickup the 2011/2012 GT500 though. It doesn't add much power, but I'd love the extra displacement. Both offer aluminum blocks and forged internals, but I would always want the 5.4L. If I could afford it, I'd love the 5.8L.

MIKE93SVT

Savior of Junk
Reaction score
never rode in a boss, but I love the instant torque of my GT500. nothing like it. plus the tr6060 is a good trans and the ease of upgrades is already there. solid foundation with a lot of potential. I would factor in your willingness/ability to invest in mods after the purchase. if you're wanting a certain power level or handling capability, factor in what each car would cost to achieve said goal. then decide if it's realistic for you to spend that much on it and be satisfied

Mike

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, go drive em both. Different cars, different setups.

Me personally, I want a Shelby. I'd spend a little extra and pickup the 2011/2012 GT500 though. It doesn't add much power, but I'd love the extra displacement. Both offer aluminum blocks and forged internals, but I would always want the 5.4L. If I could afford it, I'd love the 5.8L.

07-12 GT500's are all 5.4L.

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
Just slap on the trinity blower from a 13-14 gt500. I'll be doing that here this year and make some good power.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do. I'd probably end up with the boss, but the shelby will probably put a bigger smile on your face driving it on the street. More torque down low vs revving it to the moon.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
07-12 GT500's are all 5.4L.

I should have been more clear:

1) I meant I'd want the GT500 over the Boss 302 due to the 5.4L and the blower component.

2) I also meant that I'd spend the extra money on the 11-12 GT500 over the 07-10 GT500 to get the aluminum 5.4L block.

X2, the 11-12s were rated 550 HP vs 500 for the 07-09

Another reason to consider the 11-12 models! I believe the suspension received some major updates too.

Power aside, you have to factor the style of each model. Not everyone loves the interior, nose and/or rear end on each of those models.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either. Boss 302 puts the GT500 to shame as far as handling, but a GT500 is a mild to wild animal with some upgrades.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd buy the boss as I like the look a bit better. Already has great brakes and upgraded con rods, good exhaust, etc. Then down the road make stupid power with a VMP supercharger kit.

Does the 6060 bolt right up to the 5.0's? Has to.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
I just went through this debate myself!

I ended up picking up a 2010 GT500 for the same price as 2 of the Boss 302's I was looking at.

only 27,000 miles on the clock too!

In the end I knew I wanted F.I. If I got the boss and knew the trans wasn't up to the task. Where as the GT500 is built for it.

Both are amazing cars and you cant go wrong either way!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do. I'd probably end up with the boss, but the shelby will probably put a bigger smile on your face driving it on the street. More torque down low vs revving it to the moon.

If you plan on doing any track days (road course), then the Boss hands down. If you are into drag racing, then the Shelby hands down. If you are looking to just have a hot street car/dd/car show/attention getter...you can't go wrong with either the Shelby or the Boss.

And I agree with what a couple of guys have said...if you go Shelby, I'd fork over a few extra grand and go for the 2011-12 model GT500. Best bang for the buck in the Mustang market right now, IMHO.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
...if you go Shelby, I'd fork over a few extra grand and go for the 2011-12 model GT500. Best bang for the buck in the Mustang market right now, IMHO.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Unless you're looking to hit a race track, which the Boss would rule, I'd spend the extra cash and buy the 11-12 Shelby. Quite the bargain!!!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
There are a few downsides to both depending on what year GT500 you go with.

Boss 302 handles and just feels great in general, but do you want options? Boss 302 is as basic as it gets. The worst part is the transmission, which IMO is absolute garbage.

2007-2010 GT500 feels heavy, really heavy. A few small upgrades and it becomes a different car, but still feels boat-like. 2011+ feels much better all around.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The only racing I do is drag racing in the quarter mile. I've been watching a lot of reviews on both cars via youtube and I'm really impressed with both cars. If I get a boss 302 there would be a 100 shot put on it almost immediately. But if I get a 2007 GT500 then I would not bother with spray since it already has a power adder. I wasn't looking at 2011+ GT500's because they are not in the low 30's for price. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Boss 302....GT500......

I'm thinking there is no wrong choice there!

Thanks for all the input.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Because both the GT500, and I'm pretty sure the Boss 302 are only available with standard transmissions, I really wouldn't want to be in either car when a 6r80 stang with nearly any power adder pulls up next to ya. Both the Boss and 500 are very cool, and can handle great amounts of power, but power takes a bit of a back seat to a great automatic with the right converter imo.

I'd put my money on a 6r80 equipped S197 making 600 to the wheels, over a GT500 making 800 at a drag strip, if both had decent/similar drag oriented suspension set-ups, and the GT500 was still a standard, and both were close to stock factory weight.

I'd take the 500, a little over the boss because I'm fond of drag racing, and as is, the Boss would have it's hands very full. But on the same note, you have to drive each of those, and a stellar driver in the Boss, and a so-so driver in the 500 might be disappointing to the 500, especially with how easily you'd be able to accidentally torch the tires with all the torque in the 500.

Then there's the sound a Boss could make with a set of headers, screaming beyond 7K that would be very hard to beat, the list could go on and on, but I'd say you're fortunate to be able to choose between two very cool cars. Post back and tell us what you went with!

The only racing I do is drag racing in the quarter mile. I've been watching a lot of reviews on both cars via youtube and I'm really impressed with both cars. If I get a boss 302 there would be a 100 shot put on it almost immediately. But if I get a 2007 GT500 then I would not bother with spray since it already has a power adder.

Thanks for all the input.
Just a quick fyi, I put a wet 150 shot on top of a supercharged 5.4 2v Lightning with great results. It's obviously a lot cheaper than a big twin screw, or turbo set-up, and the results were great for me, as I only used the nitrous at the track with slicks, so I didn't use a ton of it, and really couldn't utilize it on the street with drag radials even if I wanted to anyways. My point being, don't shy away from nitrous just because you're already supercharged my friend. All I had to do for tuning is subtract 5* from my handheld, and that non forged motor handled it nicely on top of an already over/driven ported eaton. A similar setup on a GT500 would be friggin brutal IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
Because both the GT500, and I'm pretty sure the Boss 302 are only available with standard transmissions, I really wouldn't want to be in either car when a 6r80 stang with nearly any power adder pulls up next to ya. Both the Boss and 500 are very cool, and can handle great amounts of power, but power takes a bit of a back seat to a great automatic with the right converter imo.

I'd put my money on a 6r80 equipped S197 making 600 to the wheels, over a GT500 making 800 at a drag strip, if both had decent/similar drag oriented suspension set-ups, and the GT500 was still a standard, and both were close to stock factory weight.

I'd take the 500, a little over the boss because I'm fond of drag racing, and as is, the Boss would have it's hands very full. But on the same note, you have to drive each of those, and a stellar driver in the Boss, and a so-so driver in the 500 might be disappointing to the 500, especially with how easily you'd be able to accidentally torch the tires with all the torque in the 500.

Then there's the sound a Boss could make with a set of headers, screaming beyond 7K that would be very hard to beat, the list could go on and on, but I'd say you're fortunate to be able to choose between two very cool cars. Post back and tell us what you went with!

A GT500 with 800rwhp is a mid-high 9 second car at around 140mph. I don't think a 600rwhp Boss is going to keep up unless the GT500 driver just popped a nyquil. Not to mention the fact that you can make over 700rwhp in the GT500 with just a few (ok, more like 5) grand in mods (bolt ons, tune, blower swap, supporting stuff like HE/pumps/injectors etc.) and it will be reliable

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen footage of a procharged Boss making 9xxwhp take down a twin turbo lambo at a local event called Runway Rivalry. Lambo was rated at 200ish whp more. Any kind of power added coyote can be a force to be reckoned with relatively.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back