2008 GT with Coolant that might be original? How bad is that?

Rainier

Reaction score
I've got myself a 2008 GT and I don't know if the coolant has ever been changed, but it certainly hasn't been changed since I bought it in 2011. I drove it around for several years and then life intervened and it's mostly sat in the garage, driving maybe 500 miles a year on average. 37,000 miles total, and I've put on about half of those. It still looks and runs like new. I took it out last month and decided it was time to start driving it again. Just make the time. The oil was fine and basically unused but it had been sitting for six years so it got replaced. I was going through the maintenance intervals on everything. I'm going to give it some new brakes and brake fluid, because I was needed to change them anyway. The tires are basically brand new but also about a year from their life expectancy. Then I realized that the coolant hadn't been changed. Like, maybe ever. Yes, I'm a terrible owner. So I'm going to go change it, although I think at this point maybe I should just take it into Ford and have them do a flush. So, how bad am I? Or more importantly, how bad did I screw up the poor car?

Last edited:

GriffX

Reaction score
Did the same, changed it the first time after 10 years, was clear with no precipitation. But next time I will do it earlier.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
You won't know until it's out of the motor, but I would "power flush" the radiator/coolant system vs. simply draining coolant. You'll want to get everything switched out...IMO.

Laga

Reaction score
Your car is 15 years old. If you have the area and ability, remove the thermostat and flush out cooling system with a garden hose in the upper radiator hose. Let the car run with the water coming out of the engine and the garden hose going into radiator for 5 minutes. Let drain as much as possible and replace thermostat. It would be a good idea to replace hoses too. Even though it only has 37K miles, change out, not chemical flush , the ATF. The dealer can push out old fluid with new. Change rear end lube also. With your other work, your car will be good for a another 15 years.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I would not use tap water in the car. The coolant is some weird, expensive HOAT stuff. I took mine to the local Ford dealer well past the recommended changed date. They power flushed the system and filled it with fresh coolant.
I had to replace the oil filter adaptor gasket a couple years ago, and I could definitely see on the aluminum where the old coolant had damaged the surface on the block and the adaptor. I would take the car either to a dealer or someone who'll fill it with OEM coolant. Speaking of which, I'm due for a change myself.....

DieHarder

Reaction score
I would not use tap water in the car. The coolant is some weird, expensive HOAT stuff. I took mine to the local Ford dealer well past the recommended changed date. They power flushed the system and filled it with fresh coolant.
I had to replace the oil filter adaptor gasket a couple years ago, and I could definitely see on the aluminum where the old coolant had damaged the surface on the block and the adaptor. I would take the car either to a dealer or someone who'll fill it with OEM coolant. Speaking of which, I'm due for a change myself.....

This, do Not use tap water. Most tap water has dissolved solids in it and will clog small passages like radiators. Use a combination of distilled water & anti-freeze or buy 50/50 water/anti-freeze already made. What combo of water/anti-freeze is up to you but I'd expect those in more northern climates to use a little more anti-freeze than water. I usually stick w/stock 50/50; garage my car in winter and never had an issue.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I don't know if your GT has the plastic thermostat housing that my 4.0 V6 has, but I gots the new aluminum housing for my 2006 and will be replacing both at the same time... :)

xeninworx

Reaction score
On a new vehicle the antifreeze should be changed at 6 years or 160k, whichever comes first. Then after that 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first. The chemicals start breaking down over time. This is why antifreeze bottles are sealed. All bottles have a shelf life once opened. I’ve got a 2014 and changed mine at 2020 even though I only had 20k. Changed from the orange stuff to the yellow (Predator blood colour).

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I've got myself a 2008 GT and I don't know if the coolant has ever been changed, but it certainly hasn't been changed since I bought it in 2011. I drove it around for several years and then life intervened and it's mostly sat in the garage, driving maybe 500 miles a year on average. 37,000 miles total, and I've put on about half of those. It still looks and runs like new. I took it out last month and decided it was time to start driving it again. Just make the time. The oil was fine and basically unused but it had been sitting for six years so it got replaced. I was going through the maintenance intervals on everything. I'm going to give it some new brakes and brake fluid, because I was needed to change them anyway. The tires are basically brand new but also about a year from their life expectancy. Then I realized that the coolant hadn't been changed. Like, maybe ever. Yes, I'm a terrible owner. So I'm going to go change it, although I think at this point maybe I should just take it into Ford and have them do a flush. So, how bad am I? Or more importantly, how bad did I screw up the poor car?

Is it auto..or manual ? If it's an auto, replace the ATF with 100% synthetic. They put a vac on one side, and a bit of pressure on the other end, to get it all out of the tranny..and tq converter. The filter needs to be cleaned out too.

When changing eng oil, use 100% synthetic. The semi synthetic stuff is like 5% synthetic..and 95% dino oil.... it's junk. Use a quality oil filter..and not a cardboard Fram. How old are the plugs ? Make sure the new ones are gapped correctly. If it's the old 2 x piece style of plug, replace with a one piece style, like made by Brisk.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
On a new vehicle the antifreeze should be changed at 6 years or 160k, whichever comes first. Then after that 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first. The chemicals start breaking down over time. This is why antifreeze bottles are sealed. All bottles have a shelf life once opened. I’ve got a 2014 and changed mine at 2020 even though I only had 20k. Changed from the orange stuff to the yellow (Predator blood colour).
Uh oh. Mine is 18 years old. I have had it since 75k. Now is at 160k. Looks like something else for my list. My stang has ran so good for the years I have had it. Just forget how old she is.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Uh oh. Mine is 18 years old. I have had it since 75k. Now is at 160k. Looks like something else for my list. My stang has ran so good for the years I have had it. Just forget how old she is.
I had to look in owner’s manual to see what the intervals were. Now that I’m thinking about, I have to do this on my wife’s 2016 Accord.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
When you take your car in for service doesn't the garage have some kind of tool that sucks the coolant out and, they can tell what kind of shape the coolant is in. But, after reading these I definitely will check with the mechanic.

My 2008 has 75,000 miles but no service records came with it.

xeninworx

Reaction score
When you take your car in for service doesn't the garage have some kind of tool that sucks the coolant out and, they can tell what kind of shape the coolant is in. But, after reading these I definitely will check with the mechanic.

My 2008 has 75,000 miles but no service records came with it.
I think they use a pressure bleeding system.

What I did was drive the car around for 20 minutes so the thermostat opened up, then I disconnected the hose from the degas bottle that comes from the water pump and had it go into an empty jug using a longer hose that I attached. Started the car and let the old antifreeze flow into the jug and filled the new antifreeze into degas bottle. Takes some time as you have to wait for the antifreeze to go down and pour more new stuff. Once you only see new stuff coming out of the water pump hose, it’s pretty much done.

D2761098-A019-4183-999C-8A91F67F97CB.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back