2010 alternator plug pinout(408W swap)

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
Got my 408w installed and running in my 2010, got the factory ecu running all the gauges, everything including ac works perfect. 1 issue I have, I forgot to put voltage to the wire in the alternator plug for dash reference. So the voltmeter works, but it occasionally pops up with the check charging system error. I assume because the wire in the 3 wire alternator plug isn't getting direct voltage. Just need to know which wire position in the plug does what

DieHarder

Reaction score
Got my 408w installed and running in my 2010, got the factory ecu running all the gauges, everything including ac works perfect. 1 issue I have, I forgot to put voltage to the wire in the alternator plug for dash reference. So the voltmeter works, but it occasionally pops up with the check charging system error. I assume because the wire in the 3 wire alternator plug isn't getting direct voltage. Just need to know which wire position in the plug does what

What you're looking for is C102A which is the alternator plug. Pic below. Two lines run to the PCM; the other to the BEC for 12v. The output of the alternator runs back to battery +. If you verify everything is connected properly and it's still intermittent you might want to add a ground wire from the body of the alternator (or a mounting bolt) and run it over to the main ground on the passenger strut tower. That will ensure the alternator has the same ground reference as the rest of the system. I've had issues with grounds in this car and adding a ground doesn't hurt anything.

Circuit layout: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Charging System.pdf

Image (3).jpeg

Last edited:

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So with this swap, I'm running a 1 wire alternator, which is charging everything fine, but the pcm doesn't have control of the alternator anymore. After some digging, it looks like the the 2 com & mon wires, communicate with pcm and regulator, and trigger error message through can bus. So I don't think I will be able to overcome this. I guess I'll just deal with the light and clear the error message every so often when it pops up.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So with this swap, I'm running a 1 wire alternator, which is charging everything fine, but the pcm doesn't have control of the alternator anymore. After some digging, it looks like the the 2 com & mon wires, communicate with pcm and regulator, and trigger error message through can bus. So I don't think I will be able to overcome this. I guess I'll just deal with the light and clear the error message every so often when it pops up.

In the tune, there may be an option for pcm controlled alternator yes/no. It is available on the coyote, not sure on spanish oak.

jonathan sanders

Reaction score
Got my 408w installed and running in my 2010, got the factory Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox ecu running all the gauges, everything including ac works perfect. 1 issue I have, I forgot to put voltage to the wire in the alternator plug for dash reference. So the voltmeter works, but it occasionally pops up with the check charging system error. I assume because the wire in the 3 wire alternator plug isn't getting direct voltage. Just need to know which wire position in the plug does what
if you got it online could you provide the link to it ?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back