2010+ Dome Badge (faux gas cap) Disassembly

chutoyy

forum member
Reaction score
Since I did it, I'll post it... I know I've done a search about this... Ended up messing up the paint job on the badge, so I decided what the hell, might as well take it apart since it looked like crap anyway.

Like all DIY's YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN actions. Don't blame me if you end up breaking something, or other... :chairfall:

I don't have a DIY for removing it from your car, but I've seen a few out there, but meh, I'll type it out:
- This is a lot easier to do when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, or if you have a heatgun/hairdryer to warm up the piece of tape behind the badge through the badge.
- Preferably, use a trim tool or plastic putty knife to pry along the edges of the badge between the decklid and badge itself. You may want to lay down some masking tape on your paint where you start prying. It will make a "painful" ripping sound, but keep at it, or you'll have to start over- use some ingenuity if possible.
- Floss/Fishing line won't help, but feel free to try if you want... Reason being, there are four prongs centering the badge on the decklid...

My badge was held together by a minimal amount of silicone/hot glue looking adhesive and secured by a few melted 'nubs' between the pieces.

It comes in three pieces...
photo6.jpg

Start here:
photo5.jpg

Flip it over and locate the black dots...
photo4-1.jpg

I used a dremel and sanding thing to melt off the plastic nubs...
photo3-1.jpg

Viola.
photo2-1.jpg

Flip it back over, then use a flat head to pry (I twisted it after I stuck it under there) between the holes...
photo1-1.jpg

Donezo! Enjoy your paint, mod, etc...
photo-1.jpg

Glue it back togther with super glue, hot glue, etc.. Whatever your heart desires. Hope this has been helpful... in someway? :beer:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back