2011-2013 tuned cars back to stock???

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I went to the dealership Saturday and drove a 13 I was told a tune would void the warranty.

Every dealer and their mother would tell you that. If the service manager ever heard about an employee saying it was O.K....the conversation would be short and very unpleasant!

No dealer EVER wants to tell a customer that, sorry, Ford believes you did something, so the repair is on you. Some managers are better than others at helping customers fix shit, that really, wasn't Ford's fault.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
what I dont get is how they cant be responsible at all.. if so then why the design change.. haha

thats why I cant understand why a few #8 people dont get lawyers involved to find out the truth.. they can force ford to show how many stock stangs lost #8. and if there were a few then I'm sure there could be a case made.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Man, we've all talked about this issue since the inception of the new Coyotes but I sure hope its not pandemic like it seems. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer but if these motors are having that many issues Im gonna be pissed if something benign kills my warranty.

Anybody have an issue, ANY ISSUE, with a Lund Ghost tune???

I don't want to be guilty of "the sky is falling" but I'm telling you picking up a sweet SF3 Tuner for cheap is as easy as taking candy from a baby. Puzzling.

Brother, I'm just shy of 20k miles. I've been running the Lund Cammed tune and his 93 octane tune for the last 12k of those miles. The first 7k were with a Bama tune. I run the Cammed tune about 1/2 the time. Maybe a little more. And I DRIVE this car the way it was meant to be driven, gas mileage and tires be damned! LOL! I've had ZERO issues from doing so.

As a side note, you should of seen the reactions I got during Spring Break in PCB and Thunder Beach. If I parked my car with that Cammed tune thumping, I would be surrounded, literally surrounded, by college kids and bikers wanting to look over the car. My gas mileage in the city suffers quite a bit, down 4mpg or so, but on the highway, I get the same 26 mpg @ 70mph that I get with Lund's regular tune. I've had an O/R X-Pipe the whole time with the Lund tune.

Every tenth fill up, I put in a bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment. They sell the little bottle like that one for $4.99. You can buy a big bottle that will refill that little bottle like 8 times for $9.99. I've pulled my plugs twice now and they all look great. The Lucas doesn't jack up your plugs like other fuel treatment products do. It actually cleans them. I also carry around a bottle of Lucas. If I get a bad tank of gas, I pour in the Lucas and it almost immediately solves the bad gas issue. Whether that bad gas be from the station mixing octanes or the gas just being old as shit, the Lucas has an immediate and noticeable effect.

Just go ahead and do it brother. Lund tunes are some of the safest you'll find out there.

what I dont get is how they cant be responsible at all.. if so then why the design change.. haha

thats why I cant understand why a few #8 people dont get lawyers involved to find out the truth.. they can force ford to show how many stock stangs lost #8. and if there were a few then I'm sure there could be a case made.

Probably because Lawyers in those situations want money up front and during the process.

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Turning mine back to stock and selling it and buying a 13 5.0. Too much risk and having a Terminator my GT is JUST a daily driver.

Reaction score
I've had my '11 tuned since about 100 miles from my local tuner and have had no issues. About 10k miles ago i brought it back to him for a free touch up and for him to look it over, however. I am on 22000 miles ATM.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
It's because the car didn't trip the P1000 code.

That is Ford's trigger to investigate. No P1000, no investigation. Simple as that. All cars trip the P1000 code for 50-100 miles after retuning their vehicle, as well as unhooking their battery. It resets the readiness tests.

People have attributed the #8 issue to the piston oil squirter in the 11-12 washing down the cylinders to much. In turn Ford removed them, put in a heat treated pistons, heat extractor hood, and knotched the pistons for more cooling flow, as well as revised the coolant passages on the block.

Internal ford documentation actually nicknames the #8 issue as the bama bulletin, they have since then revised their calibrations and are actually cranking out good stuff.

That's some good info right there, thank you seer! Any one know what the average mileage on the stock tuned cars were when #8 let go. I just purchased a Bama tune and waited 15k miles and for tuning revisions like mentioned before deciding to try out a tune. Still, I'm a little nervous. I have heard of a 10 min idle wait time after a tune and not to get on it right away, any thoughts here? I thing I will be doing some data logging right away and send it in to get it looked over.

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Can't EVER go wrong with datalogging and getting feedback from the Tuner. It is my belief that Tuners have figured out the parameters of these motors now and the "learning curve" has been achieved. I wouldn't go to a shade tree Tuner though but I would/will trust the more "reputable" experienced Tuners like found on this site to offer a good safe tune.

I'm gonna be getting with KenB for a Ghost cam tune soon.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
That's some good info right there, thank you seer! Any one know what the average mileage on the stock tuned cars were when #8 let go. I just purchased a Bama tune and waited 15k miles and for tuning revisions like mentioned before deciding to try out a tune. Still, I'm a little nervous. I have heard of a 10 min idle wait time after a tune and not to get on it right away, any thoughts here? I thing I will be doing some data logging right away and send it in to get it looked over.

the cars have an adaptive learn strategy, that really isn't needed. But typically the procedure is, idle for 5 minutes with AC off, then 5 minutes with it on.

That being said, many people swap tunes in the staging lanes at the track, no issues whatsoever.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Cammed tune about 1/2 the time. Maybe a little more. And I DRIVE this car the way it was meant to be driven, gas mileage and tires be damned! LOL! I've had ZERO issues from doing so.

Hahaha! That's awesome, same here.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score

Collective action problem! Also, partly because courts have generally held in favor of auto manufacturers in these claims. The only claim you would have would be under various lemon laws. You just need enough people to band together and do it but at the same time, that's really tough--especially if it's a class action because the damages would end up being pretty small, considering all the freeriders. If you brought a suit as an individual plaintiff, then it's you, whatever lawyer is gutsy enough to take on your case, versus Ford's entire team of inside and outside counsel. Even on a contingency basis, the court fees alone would outweigh the cost of a new motor.

Look at the moss-magnison act. Mods ONLY deny the warranty of a part that fails directly because of the mods.

Your car is lowered with a tune and blower and you break a suspension item. Only that area is denied. Conversely your car is supercharged and your shocks blow on your stock suspension, it would be covered.

It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Read in its plain language, a consumer would assume exactly what you said. An auto manufacturer reads it in a completely different way. Unfortunately, it rarely plays out like this in courts. Even though the official FTC interpretation favors consumers, courts have generally set a very low bar for proving how a defect occurred. Expert testimony aside, you have to remember that most, if not all, the people involved in a lawsuit are not car mechanics.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
coyote owners :facepalm: op, if youre really that concerned about the warranty, but want some extra oomph, shell out the cash for the frpp tune/handheld. turn key, beat the hell out of it, and enjoy. if issues pop up, take it to the dealer then and let them handle it from there while you crack open an nice cold beer. thread lock yet?

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I finish the modding, this tune will be mine!

:drool::drool::drool:

And I got better MPG with the Lund tune over stock, lol

5104148505_e2d012b52f_z.jpg

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
Is Lund still selling the ghost cammed tunes? I could have sworn I read he had stopped selling them.

I'd love the have the better throttle response of a tune but warranty/#8 thing scares me a little bit. Maybe I'm weird...if I had the $ to put a blower on the car I'd do it in a heartbeat and not think about the warranty but I'm hesitant to throw away my power train warranty for just a tune.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Is Lund still selling the ghost cammed tunes? I could have sworn I read he had stopped selling them.

I'd love the have the better throttle response of a tune but warranty/#8 thing scares me a little bit. Maybe I'm weird...if I had the $ to put a blower on the car I'd do it in a heartbeat and not think about the warranty but I'm hesitant to throw away my power train warranty for just a tune.
He did for a short period then started again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back