2011 5.0 engine block questions

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, I was at the track the other night and saw a 5.0 block in the bed of a truck where every cylinder wall was destroyed. The mains and crank were perfect, but the cylinder walls all had cracks in them.

Upon closer inspection, I noted that that iron sleeve for every cylinder was VERY thin (I was told it is only .060 thick), then of course you have the aluminum right behind it. So at only .060 thick, this would make any over boring for clean up an issue I would think.

But more significantly, I was told that the cylinder walls all failed at 16 psi of boost. Which brings me to my question---what kind of boost are the big boys currently running--and has this failure happened to other cars out there? It seems to me the 3V block is much stronger, but I am far from any kind of 5.0 expert--just commenting on what I saw.

I didn't have my camera, otherwise I would be posting some pictures. The carnage was pretty complete.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, to be more clear---I am talking about the completely stock 5.0 block.

Are the people running 20+lbs sleeving these blocks?

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Boost pressure doesnt make the cylinders crack, torque and revs do.
Im sure over time we will find a power level in which the sleeves will be in danger, and everybody will know that they have to sleeve to go higher safely.

The fact that this engine had every cylinder cracked leads me to believe that it was tuned by a monkey. It was likely detonating and reving too high.

My guess is that when this threshold of sleeve danger is found it will likely be in excess of 600hp assuming the revs are kept at a reasonable level for the rod ratio.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paul

I've spoken to Mike at L&M about the blocks. He said he would not bore them on a build. He also said that the lack of a supporting column (for lack of a better term) at the outside edge of the wall makes the block weaker then the prior generations.

Chris - cruzintomuch just had a motor done for big power. He'd probably know about the boost/sleeve issue.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah every cylinder was cracked, some more then others. I didn't see any pistons, but was told the main and rod bearings, along with the crank was fine.

So it seems the crank is stronger then the block---at least the example I saw anyway.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Definitively cannot bore it. At 0.060" youre already about as thin as you would bore any other sleeve.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah every cylinder was cracked, some more then others. I didn't see any pistons, but was told the main and rod bearings, along with the crank was fine.

So it seems the crank is stronger then the block---at least the example I saw anyway.

Do some homework on 4.6 4v 5.0 stroker kits at 15 psi or higher all your questions will be answered ....the same thing all over again... cylinder walls we're about 0.50 on those kits

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Boost pressure doesnt make the cylinders crack, torque and revs do.
Im sure over time we will find a power level in which the sleeves will be in danger, and everybody will know that they have to sleeve to go higher safely.

The fact that this engine had every cylinder cracked leads me to believe that it was tuned by a monkey. It was likely detonating and reving too high.

My guess is that when this threshold of sleeve danger is found it will likely be in excess of 600hp assuming the revs are kept at a reasonable level for the rod ratio.

Agreed, Ive seen a bad ass motor with all the best parts fail at 300hp because the monkey was doing the tuning. A shitty tune with 8 psi of boost is capable of higher cylinder pressures than a same motor on 30 psi and a decent tune.

DMotorsports

Reaction score
I wonder how this compares to the 2011 gt500 aluminum block with the PTWA cylinder liner as far as durability is concerned?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I was just surprised the cylidner wall was so thin. I haven't seen a .060 sleeve on a stock block before. I guess I was just surprised you could not overbore the block any. The 3V aluminum block cylinder wall was much thicker--and apparently stronger, then the coyote block.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I was just surprised the cylidner wall was so thin. I haven't seen a .060 sleeve on a stock block before. I guess I was just surprised you could not overbore the block any. The 3V aluminum block cylinder wall was much thicker--and apparently stronger, then the coyote block.

The new 5.0L gets its cubes in part from the large piston size compared with the 4.6L, all while sharing the same bore spacing. There just isn't enough space between the cylinders on the 5.0L to maintain thick walls.

This is the first I've heard of cylinder issues with the coyote. Hopefully it's not something that becomes a regular occurance.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I asked what psi this happened at and was told 16 psi. My guess is there are not a lot of 5.0s running that amount of boost yet----however I know there has to be a few big boys out there that are at that level, or higher, and was just wondering if they are running sleeves, or just stock with no issues.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
They have a fully built motor from L&M.
There are couple Cars with TVS blower running 12# on stock block
One guy i see at the track with procharger 10# made 730 RWHP on stock block.

Yes, we were right around 25 lbs of boost, but all we had done to the motor was rods and pistons.

Trbosvt

Reaction score
I asked what psi this happened at and was told 16 psi. My guess is there are not a lot of 5.0s running that amount of boost yet----however I know there has to be a few big boys out there that are at that level, or higher, and was just wondering if they are running sleeves, or just stock with no issues.
is this a car with a kenne bell on it out of san bernandino? if so, i heard this is the 2nd motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back