2011 5.0 Shaking

usafimj

Reaction score
So last night I was out racing on the Autobahn with the Mustang group here in Germany. Did about 20min of racing/messing around from around 40-50mph up to 150mph. Pulled over at a truck stop to cool the cars down for about 30min. Hopped back on the autobahn and all of a sudden my car starts shaking/sputtering going about 80mph/2000-2500 rpms. I slow down freaking out and when I try to speed up it feels like it barely has enough power. Drove home and when in my driveway it wasn't shaking anymore. Drove around today and drives like normal.

This issue didn't happen until I installed Stainless Power LT headers w/ catted x-pipe and Lund tune. No CEL came on or anything.

Could an exhaust leak or bad O2 be the issue?
Is it worth datalogging?

What can I look into?

usafimj

Reaction score
Do you have o2 extensions installed? Possible wire touching headers?

No O2 extensions and not sure about wires touching the headers. Won't be able to check it until this coming weekend or the next.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Likely went into limp mode. It could be a bad O2 sensor in the front. A data log might show a faulty fuel trim which is likely due to a faulty O2 sensor. I replace my front ones annually now. It could also be a fault of the tune.

usafimj

Reaction score
We covered up the exhaust tips to create back pressure and didn't hear any leaks. But I'll retighten what I can again. Going to do a couple data logs to send to Lund and see if its tune related or like you said possibly a bad O2 sensor.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Likely went into limp mode.

+1. I've put my '14 GT into limp mode a few times at the drag strip. Car shakes and is down on power when in limp mode. Cycle the ignition once or twice and it runs normal again. I know what causes mine to happen, but the OP's cause is likely different than mine.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Even though it didn't turn on a CEL, you can scan it to see if there's a stored code from when the incident occurred. Might be worth trying?

usafimj

Reaction score
So I emailed Lund and they think it could be a bad O2 sensor from how I explained the issue to them. They'll give me a better answer once I datalog.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back