2011 5.0 Tuning Questions

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
I did do several searches and did not find the answers so I figured i'd ask. Sort of a newb to new this tuning thing so point me to any existing posts with this info.

1. I have 3 Bama custom tunes and learned that the O2 sensors are disabled on the Race tune. Albeit fast as hell, I see why they recommend not to make it your daily tune. I may be totally tripping here, but have now backed down the the Performance tune since I started to have some occasional misses when idling; totally nothing bad, but you could feel the car rock a bit. Car runs like a bat out of hell, but wondering if having the O2 sensors disabled causes rich condition after 4 days of driving... I have not thrown any codes either.

2. My local speed shop is saying the web-ordered custom tunes are not as good as their dyno-based tunes. Sort of makes sense to me, since they can adjust tunes to the individual cars, but are there really that many differences in dyno-based, local tunes vs. web-ordered tunes? I know Bama tunes are tested with the actual after-market part so not sure how different individual cars are. I know the way a car is broken in is very important as well. I'm a big believer in giving a car 1,000 miles, then break it in like you'll drive it.

3. Is there a clear list somewhere of the programmable options in the 5.0 tunes? Not the SCT options, but the options that the speed shops configure in their tunes. I'm not looking for trade secrets here, but very interested to know any learnings, problems, limits the pros have run into when adjusting the TiVCT. I mean have we maxed out the potential of custom TiVCT tuning or are we just starting to tap the potential?

Last edited:

DON SVO

Reaction score
I did do several searches and did not find the answers so I figured i'd ask. Sort of a newb to new this tuning thing so point me to any existing posts with this info.

1. I have 3 Bama custom tunes and learned that the O2 sensors are disabled on the Race tune. Albeit fast as hell, I see why they recommend not to make it your daily tune. I may be totally tripping here, but have now backed down the the Performance tune since I started to have some occasional misses when idling; totally nothing bad, but you could feel the car rock a bit. Car runs like a bat out of hell, but wondering if having the O2 sensors disabled causes rich condition after 4 days of driving... I have not thrown any codes either.

2. My local speed shop is saying the web-ordered custom tunes are not as good as their dyno-based tunes. Sort of makes sense to me, since they can adjust tunes to the individual cars, but are there really that many differences in dyno-based, local tunes vs. web-ordered tunes? I know Bama tunes are tested with the actual after-market part so not sure how different individual cars are. I know the way a car is broken in is very important as well. I'm a big believer in giving a car 1,000 miles, then break it in like you'll drive it.

3. Is there a clear list somewhere of the programmable options in the 5.0 tunes? Not the SCT options, but the options that the speed shops configure in their tunes. I'm not looking for trade secrets here, but very interested to know any learnings, problems, limits the pros have run into when adjusting the TiVCT. I mean have we maxed out the potential of custom TiVCT tuning or are we just starting to tap the potential?

Which local shop?

<---- Bedford resident, Gearheads whore

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
There are several tuners in DFW, but this was SpeedTek.

Mikes5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I mean have we maxed out the potential of custom TiVCT tuning or are we just starting to tap the potential?

Id like to know this as well. It would be nice to know we could squeeze more power out of the 5.0 with tuning.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
They have the rear O2s turned off.

A dyno tune is almost always better than a email tune. I say almost because some tuners suck. lol

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
i got my tune thru bbr racing. all the shops here in kc dont know enough about tuning to do as good of a job. I am very happy with BBR.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
I've very happy with my Bama tune as well and want to work with a tuner with lots of experience vs. some guy with a laptop 'trying things' bc even if they can get some more HP, I don't want it at the risk of running lean or some other bigger issue.

DON SVO

Reaction score
Whoa... Gearheads installs 2005+ Ford Racing gears for $450. That's a deal!

That site has gone downhill. Little mustang talk, especially little 2011 Mustang talk.

You're thinking of the Canadian site.

I've very happy with my Bama tune as well and want to work with a tuner with lots of experience vs. some guy with a laptop 'trying things' bc even if they can get some more HP, I don't want it at the risk of running lean or some other bigger issue.

Canned internet tunes will lack in the hands-on category. That's about it. They're going to be better than the box tune simply because the Bama tune (as an example) is going to have a lot more R&D than what SCT will provide. SCT still has to warranty their product to work on a wide variety of modifications, so those tunes are going to be safe. More aggressive than stock, but safe. Bama will be much more precise since they have the ability to tune with a lot of different parts strapped to a dyno mule. However, if you want the most, you need to get a competent tuner so that the car can be tuned and tailored.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
My car has had the rough idle from day one. Turning off the rear O2 sensors has no effect on how your car runs or idles. The rear O2's when on simply let the PCM know the cats are working. The tunes we get from Bama, BBR, Lethal etc are all really safe tunes when it comes to timing and air/fuel ratios. They aren't going to send out a tune that would have the potential to hurt your motor. With that being said I believe there might be a little left power wise in a dyno tune with an experienced tuner but probably not a lot.

yell03

Reaction score

Are you sure?

Why would they turn off the rear O2s if you are running cats?

I have the Bama Race tune running on my daily driver 2011 5.0, no issues and fast as hell.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
As mentioned dyno tune will always better then a email tune. It is done to your car. My car make xx hp with same tune and your car make yy. This is because the cars are different and respond different. No two cars are the exact same.

With just cold air and say x pipe no real reason IMO to spend money on a dyno tune though. Wait till have headers, full exhaust, cold air, atleast. If already have sct tunes email will run from most range 45-75. A dyno tune will run 350-500 depending on shop or tuner.

I have a tuner local here who has tons of experience that will do mine once I'm ready for a dyno tune.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
As far as turning off cats with race tune could because it runs rich or lean and don't want sensors throw codes.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Royb

forum member
Reaction score

A: NO

A: YES a dyno tune if done correctly will be dialed in more precise and give you more HP. to get an idea about tuning go buy the book Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish - so you understand want tuning is.

A: No unless you have the Ford Strategy (it is Ford confidential ) and most people will not understand it tuning and SCT has a way to tune and HP tuners has a way to tune but in essence tuning is adjusting the MAF, Injectors, and several other options on a depends basis.
TiVCT is still basic unless you change cams and other parts then you get into tuning other items.

you might want to try HPP in Lewsisville TX if you want a dyno tune - they are somewhat local to cowtown.

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
When you turn the rear O2 sensors off the car will no longer go into cat protection mode if the rear O2 sensors detect that the cats are getting too hot. When the car detects such a condition, the car dumps lots of extra fuel to cool off the cats and it kills power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back