2011 GT Brake Rotors...

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I have some questions. Yes, I did a lot of searches.

Is the stock rotor size for a non-Brembo car 13.2"?

Most of the after-market front rotors I'm seeing are 12.43" in diameter. Is it worth losing diameter to gain dimpled/slotted rotors? My first inclination is NO.

If I wanted to use 14" rotors, but retain my stock calipers for now, what would I need to do to be able to use them? Do they just bolt right up or will I need other parts?

I want to go with slotted and dimpled/cross-drilled rotors on the front and rear. They have to be Zinc washed rotors. Then, once I have more money, go with new pads. Eventually, I'll do a big brake kit. But right now, I need to do this in stages. If possible, I would like to go 14" rotors from the get go. That way, when I get a brake kit that comes with 14" rotors, I'll have some spare rotors.

Any suggestions for stores with good prices?

Thanks in advance folks!

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you aren't going to go with a big brake kit, you're best best would be a set of Hawk pads or the equivalent with some stainless steel lines and some good fluid.

The rotors are arguably for aesthetics only, but I went with R1 Concepts rotors on my '05. They weren't zinc coated, so I painted them black to avoid rusting. The paint scrapes off the surface immediately and the rest of the rotor remained protected from rust.

3 years later they are holding up just fine.

However, if you are looking for more of an upgrade, hold out and get the GT500 brake upgrade for an easy swap.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight Nick. Right now though, I just need information so I can compare some different approaches to this.

I personally believe that drilled/slotted rotors are better performing than solid rotors. There's a reason why they are used on high end vehicles as OEM equipment as well as in racing and on motorcycles. Also, they give a more aggressive, high performance look to the car as well.

I don't think the reduction in diameter to 12.43" is worth it for drilled and slotted rotors though. The larger diameter of the stock rotors would tend to act as a better heat-sink I would think. I plan on getting the GT/CS front valance here soon and then buying the brake duct cooling kit for it that utilizes the fog light holes.

I would like to know if buying 14" rotors requires anything else to use the stock calipers. I could plan on getting different calipers at some point, but not necessarily the GT500 kit or any kit. Most of the kits out there use 14" rotors, so I could just buy the calipers I want instead of spending the $$$ on a big brake kit.

sean858

forum member
Reaction score
No you can't just bolt up any size rotor using your stock calipers. I believe Baer makes a kit that allows you run larger rotors in the front with stock calipers.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what size is on the 11s but going down in rotor size is rarely a good thing.14" rotors will not just bolt up, you will need the matching calipers to fit. Don't forget when you upgrade to a BBK that your wheels may not clear the caliber.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
If the op goes with the Baer +2 kit you might want to give the company a call and see if the rotors are compatible with their Bbk calipers if you want to upgrade.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I was not talking about ( Drag) brakes ! I was talking about Daily drivers that go to the track once or twice a month. Alot of these guys keep a set of street skinneys, and E/T drags to drive to the track.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks. Piecing together a brake kit isn't going to be cost effective on these 2011's. So when I get the $$$ saved up, I'll just have to do a GT500 conversion. I now have wheels that will clear the GT500 calipers as well as any other big brake caliper I may want to use.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Im guessing when you bought your car you couldnt find one with the brembo package?

I ordered my Mustang from Ford. I just didn't check the Brembo brake package for some reason. I really regret that now. At the time, I thought I'd be able to piece together a brake package on my own. I didn't really like the wheels that came with the Brembo package, but hell. I should have gotten it anyway and just sold off the wheels and rubber. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back