2012 GT500 8.8 into base 2007 by. 03'-04' Cobra flange doesn't work!!

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
I recently installed an 8.8 rear end from a 2012 Shelby GT500. Into my 07' base v6 auto. Everything bolted up fine, even used the Shelby trailing arms. All my research led me to the 03'-04' Cobra pinion flange to be able to use my original driveshaft. I purchased and installed it and it doesn't work. There's about a 2 inch gap between the flange and my driveshaft. I was told the rear end was from a track pack car but all I've read says those weren't made until 2013. Has anyone completed this swap and if so what flange was used? Kind of looked at everything so far and drawing blanks! Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
So no other alternatives? Another flange? Different flange on the driveshaft? The original flange from the 2012 8.8 seems like the right length, just the bolt pattern is smaller. I've included a picture of the original flange that was in the car (rusty one). You can see where the driveshaft bolted up. The one in my hand is what came off the 2012 Shelby. The length looks good, just the bolt pattern is too small! I'm wondering if another flange on the driveshaft would solve the issue?20190529_182057.jpg

JimC

Reaction score
Some of the 2011+ rear ends have the correct flange on them already. Did you check to see if your driveshaft will bolt to that flange?

The driveshaft length isn't any different - the distance from the tail of your transmission to the flange on the rear end is the same, regardless of 7.5" or 8.8" rear end.

It's possible that when you unbolted your driveshaft that the sliding joint compressed some. Some people have had to stretch it back out to fit.

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
Jim C,
I was kind of wondering about that 'boot' in the driveshaft. I'll be honest, this is my first Mustang. I've had Chevs mostly and with them the yoke would move in and out of the transmission. With this setup, its bolted to a flange on the back of the transmission. New to me!!. How would I 'stretch' it back and how much play is it supposed to have? Btw, thanks for responding!

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I installed a GT500 8.8 into an '05 V6 and used the '03-04 Cobra flange. It all aligned properly without any issues and the V6 axle bolted right up to the Cobra flange. I don't recall the 7.5 axle having a flange like you've posted.

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
Oldvor,
What year was the GT500 8.8 out of?
Mine is from a 2012

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
oldVOR,
Thanks for the info. I've called a couple of driveshaft shops locally but it's the same story...'bring the driveshaft in and we'll look at it"! I'm going to try and use some threaded rod the same as the bolts and hopefully 'pull' the driveshaft into the flange. I'll post the results with pics!. Wish me luck.

Lloyd Gogo

Reaction score
Jim C,
Thanks for your words of wisdom and advice! You as well 'oldVOR!'
Sure enough it had compressed back into itself and I'll be honest, I haven't the foggiest idea how! However, 2 lengths of 3/8 threaded rod, a few nuts n washers and bingo! The 03'-04' Cobra pinion flange works like a charm and all is good! I'll be doing my front struts and Volgland springs and installing the big brakes this coming weekend . Then it'll be the Eaton M90 with the Moddbox install kit and a water meth injection setup hopefully in early July!
Once again thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.
Lloyd20190530_200618.jpg

JimC

Reaction score
I'm glad you got it worked out. I was traveling today (left the house at 5 a.m. and finally stopped for the night at 9:30 p.m. so just getting online to check things.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back