2013 GT Hood Vent Cold Air Intake Water Test

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score

I did a test of the hood vents and whether they allow much water to get on the filter of a cai. This is a worst case scenario though, simulating if you were to be stopped in heavy rain with wind blowing rain in the vents somewhat.

Had very interesting results. Just wanted to get your opinions. I've had A LOT of companies/people tell me it's fine and there will only be issues if the filter gets submerged in water, etc. Then there are companies like C&L who say if it gets wet it can cause issues and then go on to talk about how their CAI has protection to keep it from getting wet. What are your opinions on the matter? Think it will actually be an issue or do you think it's probably fine?

I know I personally will probalby get an injen hydro shield in black just to be safe anyway lol.

And to you guys who don't like my videos, too bad lol. Just don't watch. I was debating posting it here but figured I'd post it since I haven't really seen any actual tests.

Sublime302

mod bug flu
Reaction score
thats crazy it gets so wet. love the videos man! always helpful. Your car is amazing. its a shame to get it wet for almost no reason lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that hood needs some wax

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Dear god another video..... this guy is persistent but still needs his balls to drop. Sounds like a homosexual.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Well he said, if you did not like his vids, not to watch..he warned you.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
This was interesting to see. Keep making your videos man, fuck the haters.

Haha this.
I like your videos. They're short and to the point and your car is pretty nice to look at.

I was thinking of getting the competition inlet for my Paxton but watching this video for the first time changed my mind.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool video.

I have some thoughts. Don't know if this is right or not, but its what I think...

Water exists naturally in our air every day. I don't think it would do anything. Water in small amounts wouldn't be damaging to the engine. Most of the water will vaporize before it gets to the TB anyway. As long as you don't suck enough water up to cause hydro-lock, you should be fine. Just remember, an engine is an air pump, not a water pump.

As long as you are not using a paper filter, pretty much every filter is water and oil proof. As far as water goes, I would assume that if molecules of water are blocking the filter preventing air from flowing, it may have some very minor impact on the way the vehicle performs, but not enough to be concerned about needing to re-tune to accommodate.

Of course I have zero scientific evidence to support any of this. It is purely an opinion based on my experience.

06S281Extreme

forum member
Reaction score
Cool vid! This is why throughout all of the cars that i owned i never picked up an open vented hood. I live in CA and sometimes you have to drive in heavy rain, doesn't happen to often but it does. Hydro locking your motor for a nice hood just never made any sense to me..

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of things make perfect sense if you just don't think about them.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Dear god another video..... this guy is persistent but still needs his balls to drop. Sounds like a homosexual.

Click up top on your User CP, look on the right hand side of the screen for "Your Control Panel", under there look for Edit Ignore List. Enter OP's name in your ignore list.
Either that, or just don't open his threads....

Guess what? Problem solved.

I liked the video and even though my 2011 doesn't have the hood vents I've wondered how much water hits the filter. I would think you would have to have some huge amounts of water getting sucked up before having issues....but I was curious.

Drunk Racers

forum member
Reaction score
I always wondered about the "seal" on the tops of the plates for CAI's. I thought they would seal to the hood to prevent warm air and water from getting to the filter.
Guess that is not the case with the vented hoods.

If someone made a CAI setup that seals off the filter from vented hoods, problem solved.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also you should mention that while driving the water will naturally flow away from the vents above he CAI unless of course you drive in reverse everywhere you go. Good video!

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Do you guys think a SC on say 15lbs or so could suck up enough water to cause a problem?

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
thanks guys! yeah it's definitely a worst case scenario test. basically like sitting still in traffic in pouring rain and having wind blow rain around.

and to the last post, even without a s/c, you could potentially suck up enough water to cause a problem. will you? probably not, but it's possible.

Back