2013 Stereo Questions

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Now that I'm settling into my first new Mustang in 11 years, I'm disappointed with the stock stereo. I'm hurting for XM, Bluetooth, etc. It's even more frustrating that the buttons are there for phone and satellite radio, but they don't work (at least on the base model?).

Right now, I'm looking at two paths... trying to get the stock shit to work, which I have no idea about. Is the stock stereo like an aftermarket one... where you can add the modules later (Bluetooth, sat radio, etc). If that's the case, I would think the only other thing I'd have to do is swap out the center console for one with a speaker (assuming that's where the mic is on a Bluetooth-equipped car).

The other path would obviously be an aftermarket radio. Here's my current shopping list (minus speakers). I *believe* this is everything I need:

- Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
- SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
- iDatalink Connec Factory Integration Adapter
- iDatalink Maestro ADSMRR Interface Module
- Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
- iDatalink Connec KITMUS1 Factory Integration Adapter Factory Gray

Thoughts?

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
Check out crutchfield for getting an aftermarket head unit. They will supply everything you need in a nice kit and even walk you thru install on the phone if you have issues.

Replaced the head unit in my 2006 with a Kenwood double din unit. Works great with the Shaker 500 system / speakers that was there already.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Check out crutchfield for getting an aftermarket head unit. They will supply everything you need in a nice kit and even walk you thru install on the phone if you have issues.

Replaced the head unit in my 2006 with a Kenwood double din unit. Works great with the Shaker 500 system / speakers that was there already.
That's where I got my list from.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of the stock deck? Is there SYNC or is this just a regular deck? Steering wheel controls?

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Now that I'm settling into my first new Mustang in 11 years, I'm disappointed with the stock stereo. I'm hurting for XM, Bluetooth, etc. It's even more frustrating that the buttons are there for phone and satellite radio, but they don't work (at least on the base model?).

Right now, I'm looking at two paths... trying to get the stock shit to work, which I have no idea about. Is the stock stereo like an aftermarket one... where you can add the modules later (Bluetooth, sat radio, etc). If that's the case, I would think the only other thing I'd have to do is swap out the center console for one with a speaker (assuming that's where the mic is on a Bluetooth-equipped car).

The other path would obviously be an aftermarket radio. Here's my current shopping list (minus speakers). I *believe* this is everything I need:

- Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
- SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
- iDatalink Connec Factory Integration Adapter
- iDatalink Maestro ADSMRR Interface Module
- Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
- iDatalink Connec KITMUS1 Factory Integration Adapter Factory Gray

Thoughts?

Minus the tuner, I just installed that entire list yesterday. Here's a link to thread with some pictures. Your list is good. I got the head unit from Best Buy for $599 (same as Crutchfield but I get it now and I don't have to pay $699 then do the mail-in rebate garbage).

The install was pretty straight forward but the wire that goes to the Sync plug under the glove box isn't very long. I cut the wire off the harness that came with the stereo and spliced it in to the harness you get with the iDatalink MUS1 kit. Worked fine. And don't forget to plug that Sync plug back in or your climate controls won't work once everything is put back together...ask me how I know...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129245

I also added 4 Kicker 6x8s.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Minus the tuner, I just installed that entire list yesterday. Here's a link to thread with some pictures. Your list is good. I got the head unit from Best Buy for $599 (same as Crutchfield but I get it now and I don't have to pay $699 then do the mail-in rebate garbage).

The install was pretty straight forward but the wire that goes to the Sync plug under the glove box isn't very long. I cut the wire off the harness that came with the stereo and spliced it in to the harness you get with the iDatalink MUS1 kit. Worked fine. And don't forget to plug that Sync plug back in or your climate controls won't work once everything is put back together...ask me how I know...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129245

I also added 4 Kicker 6x8s.
Thanks for the input. How much were the Kickers? What was the part number?

As for the Sync cable, do I even need to worry about that? I'm 99% certain I don't have any Sync functions. Other than the Recaro seats, the car is pretty much a base model.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back