2015 GT Drag Mod Suggestions

BOBS197

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I`ve been a Bad influence on my son and daughter. I have been drag racing Mustangs since the late 60`s and my son RBS550 & daughter Foxy Stang Girl have been drag racing with me for many years. My son just purchased a 2015 GT Auto and straight to the track where he made passes bone stock with the window sticker still on it went ET 12.94 @ 109. We were very happy with the bone stock passes. He plans to race at the next three MNRA races,
Mods Planned
JLT CAI & Tune
Flowmaster exhaust
M/T DRs 18 inch (base GT has 18 x 8 rims)
FMS 3.73 Gears
The S550 is new to us and any suggestions for N/A drag mods would be greatly appreciated .. Thanks

Attachments

• RB 1st Race.jpg
    RB 1st Race.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

RBS550

Reaction score
12.94 @ 109 1.99 60'

Bone stock including tires & tire pressure 37lbs.

Last edited:

BOBS197

forum member
Reaction score
ET Time slip

Breaking in the new S550 Mustang, Base line set after many passes in the 12.90`s Bone stock ,ready for mods!

Attachments

• RB 12.94.png
    RB 12.94.png
    394 KB · Views: 8
  • et 1.jpg
    et 1.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 7

REDS197

Reaction score
1. If you plan to race it on sticky tires Half Shafts would be my first investment.
2. Get with Kelly at BMR on the suspension pieces you will need for your goals. Wheel hop is next.

These along with what you have planned should get you mid 11's or better.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
A couple things:

What gears are in it now? If they are 3.15s, I'd leave them. 3.15 is the perfect gear for a bolt-on (stock manifold) Coyote automatic to go through the traps at the top of 3rd gear, which is ideal.

If you want to use the factory 18x8" wheels for your track tires, the M&H 275/45-18 drag radials are a perfect fit and work really well.

The best-performing bolt-ons for these automatic Coyotes are a torque converter (Circle D typically) and a good tune. An offroad x- or h-pipe or at least a set of cat delete pipes are very helpful also. There is some debate, but the gains from a CAI are minimal to none, other than looks and sound. Other than that, shedding weight wherever economically feasible and a good set of drag radials and the car will run well. My car is a pretty typical example...a 2012 auto GT with an offroad x-pipe, tune, a Circle D 4000 stall converter, Racestar front and rear wheels with drag radials, factory 3.15 gear, factory intake stuff. I chose to do an E85 tune and larger injectors but it's not a requirement to run well. Mine typically runs 11.70s, which is nothing out of the ordinary these days.

RBS550

Reaction score
1. If you plan to race it on sticky tires Half Shafts would be my first investment.
2. Get with Kelly at BMR on the suspension pieces you will need for your goals. Wheel hop is next.

These along with what you have planned should get you mid 11's or better.

I will give Kelly at BMR a call I have been researching BMRs IRS parts, I plan on dropping the IRS to change the shafts & maybe gear change. I have worked on some of the older Cobra IRS in the past. The pic is not a cobra but lot of mods I did from motor to the rear end.
Thanks for the info

Attachments

• stroker 46 032.jpg
    stroker 46 032.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 7
  • stroker 46 025.jpg
    stroker 46 025.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 5

RBS550

Reaction score
May I ask why JLT CAI?

I understand not much to gain from any of the CIAs MAYBE 8 to 10 hp if that. If it is 10 hp with other mods that could = 1 tenth at the track about 1 car length. My dad runs JLT on his 05 here is a pic where I modified it with some high temp ABS and foam trim to seal it up to the hood to make it more of a Cold Air Intake not HAI, Also not in the pic is enlarged fresh air opening. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• JLT 012.jpg
    JLT 012.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 4

RBS550

Reaction score
A couple things:

What gears are in it now? If they are 3.15s, I'd leave them. 3.15 is the perfect gear for a bolt-on (stock manifold) Coyote automatic to go through the traps at the top of 3rd gear, which is ideal.

If you want to use the factory 18x8" wheels for your track tires, the M&H 275/45-18 drag radials are a perfect fit and work really well.

The best-performing bolt-ons for these automatic Coyotes are a torque converter (Circle D typically) and a good tune. An offroad x- or h-pipe or at least a set of cat delete pipes are very helpful also. There is some debate, but the gains from a CAI are minimal to none, other than looks and sound. Other than that, shedding weight wherever economically feasible and a good set of drag radials and the car will run well. My car is a pretty typical example...a 2012 auto GT with an offroad x-pipe, tune, a Circle D 4000 stall converter, Racestar front and rear wheels with drag radials, factory 3.15 gear, factory intake stuff. I chose to do an E85 tune and larger injectors but it's not a requirement to run well. Mine typically runs 11.70s, which is nothing out of the ordinary these days.

Thank You this is Great info, Nice ETs I have been away from the track for a while working a lot of outages. The gears are 3.15 and like you said just making it to the finish at the tip top of 3rd. Checking on the M&H I must have miss them when I looked only saw M/T in my size
Thank You!

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
The money you spend on a piece of shit JLT intake could be used for other mods that will actually do more for the car than a intake.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
I got a '15 Auto and went with the 3.55 gears as a factory option. I have not had it to the track, but these gears make 1st gear essentially useless with stock radials

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back