2015 MT-82 updates?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am seriously thinking of getting a new GT. I like my tuned 6R80, but I miss shifting. I had an '11 with the MT-82 that was a total POS and Ford ended up working out a deal with me to take it back and get me into a 6R80 after only 2 months. Since they couldn't fix it and I bought 10 cars from the dealer over the years. Now, I have been reading that Ford "updated the shift linkage" in the 2015's, and this gives me hope. Yes, I know some MT-82's are fine, but after having one like I did, I won't take a chance unless I know updates were made. Can this be confirmed, and what did they do exactly? This was precisely one of the main issues my old MT-82 had, so if they improved this I would be stoked...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
No one really knows yet. I think you need not worry as you just happened to get a bad one out of the bunch.

DonkeyLips

forum member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the 15 obviously, but I can tell you that the MT82 in my 14 feels much better than the older ones I have driven. Very smooth, and no issues when shifting at high RPM.

Only issues I have noticed with it is a hard 1-2 shift in cold temperatures until the tranny warms up.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC, they made some updates in the 2013-2014 cars, which is an improvement over the 2011-2012 cars.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know that the clutch pedal is lighter and it does seem to be smoothing shifting, I'm pretty sure the gears in the trans are phosphate coated as well but I can't say for sure

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I know that the clutch pedal is lighter and it does seem to be smoothing shifting, I'm pretty sure the gears in the trans are phosphate coated as well but I can't say for sure

Source? Yet to read any of that pertaining to the '15's...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
...I think you need not worry as you just happened to get a bad one out of the bunch.

I just happened to get a bad one, as well. My '11 GT's MT82 sucked. One of the main reasons I bought my '14 GT with the 6R80. As much as I love shifting for myself, I would not consider any vehicle with the MT82 in it.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I heard the 15's manual transmission is only meant for people with three legs.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I just happened to get a bad one, as well. My '11 GT's MT82 sucked. One of the main reasons I bought my '14 GT with the 6R80. As much as I love shifting for myself, I would not consider any vehicle with the MT82 in it.

And as I am sure you can agree to, getting a bad one sucked!

I will have to wait and see what the updates actually end up being, and then see how they are in the real world before deciding.

Plus, I read rumors if a 7 speed manual in '16.

Funny thing is the auto got upgrades, new case, paddle shifters and a 3:55 gear option...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back