2015 Mustang will have IRS - More Proof!!

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
2015-mustang-will-have-irs-more-proof_8784.jpg

2015 MUSTANG WILL HAVE IRS – MORE PROOF!!!

Not a fan of this move personally, but we'll see how it works out. I'm sure everyone seen this yesterday, or even earlier this morning on Jalopnik. If not, here it is.

Big thanks to Jalopnik.com for releasing these new 2015 Mustang “test mule” pictures. From the pictures you can clearly see the lower control arms of an IRS (independent rear suspension) system on this test Stang. You can also see the rear bumper has been cut/hacked up. It is safe to assume that this is to clear a redesigned exhaust system that has to be routed around the IRS system.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I guess a lot of people will love it, but I really dig the solid axle on the current cars.
Hope people will not be popping half shafts left and right!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I don't think there was any doubt the '15 wasn't getting an IRS. I'm also a big fan of the solid axle, but I'm open to see what Ford comes up with. As long as it's strong, 8.8 based, and functions like it should, I'm down.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'll give it some time before I think about buying one. I'm not a fan of the IRS right now. Been in a few vettes, and even Cobras, it's something that will take time for me to get used to I think.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I think it will be good if it handles like a true IRS should but if the cobras are any indication a swap will be in our futures if possible.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it will be good if it handles like a true IRS should but if the cobras are any indication a swap will be in our futures if possible.

I'm willing to bet that the IRS will be an integral part of the chassis. If it's built stout enough, I'm fine with it. If it's built like the MT-82...not so much.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I went ahead and bought a 2014. As much as I wanted a 50th anniversary edition, I didn't want an IRS. Especially not on the first year of production in the Stang.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing how it performs.

If it is as strong as some of the other Automakers IRS systems out there, this could be a great overall set-up. We have an IRS in our 2010 Camaro SS and it does very well at the drag-strip, and the road-course.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Eh, I don't care about IRS. So it may possibly handle better. I drive this car on public roads or the dragstrip. No handling required. How many people on this forum road race their Mustangs? 0.5% at best?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
One of the reasons I went ahead and bought a 2014. As much as I wanted a 50th anniversary edition, I didn't want an IRS. Especially not on the first year of production in the Stang.

Same here. I knew the '15 was gonna have IRS and be smaller/lighter when I placed the order for my 2-option '13 GT.
I got exactly what I wanted, almost a bullet-proof rear end, a fixable transmission (T56 anyone? :D ), a 5.0 that can easily be safely boosted to 600 RWHP, and I get to enjoy this car for a couple of years before the '15 comes out, then make the decision of boost or replace.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Eh, I don't care about IRS. So it may possibly handle better. I drive this car on public roads or the dragstrip. No handling required. How many people on this forum road race their Mustangs? 0.5% at best?

I would venture to guess that it is much more than .5%

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Meh, just show us that its going to get a nice DI 5.0 with a healthy HP bump.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One of those articles said a 475hp 5.0. We will see before long I suppose.

Back