2V vs. 3V 4.6

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
My son is interested in a 2000 GT. I know the 2V motors make a lot less power than the 3V motors. What potential do the 2V motors have though? Do they respond well to bolt ons or do they need major modifications to see good gains? For instance what would it take to make one into a 12 second car N/A? Or is is best to swap in a 3V motor? I'm just trying to inform him as best I can.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2V's are not bad engine's but they are saddled with the worst factory modular heads ever. The 2000 cars at least have the PI heads but even they are not that good. A set of heads is almost mandatory if you want to make any power worth noting. Ported 2V heads flow about the same as out of the box 3V heads. You have two options. CNC ported or TrickFlow. Unless you are going to drop a Kenne Bell on top of it, I can't say I'd bother with one myself.

That said... I well driven, properly setup 2V with gears and some other parts should be able to break into the 12's. At 3400lbs (guessing vehicle weight with your kid in it) you would need in the neighborhood of 310 horse at the crank. They come with 260, so you're talking about adding 50 hp. Heads, an intake, CAI cams, a little compression maybe and you might make it.

2001GT3v

Reaction score
Unless you are ready to drop a lot of money on full bolts, cams, intake manifold, suspension and weight reduction it's not worth trying to make a 2v run 12's n/a. I had everything listed above at one point and the best I got was 13.01 here in Vegas. There was a little more in it and I do think with cooler weather I could have made it in the 12's (I ran 13.01 in the summer here). The 2v doesn't respond well to bolt ons. It likes FI. I also had nitrous on the car and it was a different animal. I did really enjoy that setup, but it took a lot of money to get there. It also is not worth porting the PI heads and you will see minimal gains for the amount of money you'll spend hogging them out. The trickflow heads are the ONLY way to go, but they will set you back 2g's for the heads plus 600-800 for cams. I'm turbo'd now and really wish I went this route in the first place. My n/a and nitrous setup was faster than the turbo, but I have a lot less money in my turbo setup and I'm really happy with it.
Hopefully this helps out. Just thought I'd give you my personal experience with 2vs.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate it guys. It's pretty much what i thought but I've never had one so I don't have personal experience. I think he would be better with the 88 notch that he is also looking at. Car is cheaper, much lighter and parts are waaaay cheaper.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
How experienced a driver is he? Maybe it's in his interest to get him the later (safer) model 2000 with less power and less potential for overall power.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
He's 22 and he's had several cars and trucks including a fox body that he drag raced. Trust me this is a long shot anyway. He's in college and doesn't have any money. He would have to sell his dirt bike and several other things to make this happen and then he couldn't even use it unil the summer when he comes home from school. I am really advising him against this but you know kids.....

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
A buddy went 12.9's@106 with MHS stage 2 heads, turbo cams, stock PI intake, 60 lb injectors, 3.73 gears. Obviously not an ideal N/A combo as he took it out for shits and grins after pulling the turbo set up (made 684 to the rear wheels on a cheap master power 70).

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
I went high 10s with a 2V NA

Fox lake stage II heads
Custom Cams
Bullit intake
Obvioulsy every bolt on you can have
This was with a built engine and flat tops.

I went really deep in the 11s on a stock short block.

This was a stick car at about 3100-3200 LBS on slicks

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
My old 2006 will be for sale soon (still demodding it) from my Dealer.... Not sure what your budget is but it's a 54K mile super clean car that will be nearly bone stock (will still have wheels, Shelby spoiler, and Shelby steering wheel on it) and runs perfect.

If it's in the cards, my vote is to go 3V over a 2V

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to find a clean 3V and it will be much more functional for modding. Plus it won't be ugly.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste any effort trying to make a 2V run 12s in NA configuration. Unless it's the price range he can afford, or looks he likes, I wouldn't be looking at a 2V. Waste of time unless you go FI, but even than you need to build the engine around 380-400RWHP.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to find a clean 3V and it will be much more functional for modding. Plus it won't be ugly.

I saw a magazine article in 5.0 a few months ago about swapping a 3V into a New Edge. It actually looked pretty easy, and there are kits to make everything bolt up and plug in. I think if you install limiters in the 3V, you can actually use the stock 2V's computer to control it.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
It cracks me up because just as many new edge guys call 05-09's ugly. Mustang owners, we're all a bunch of haters :roflmao:

I think that new edges are my 3rd least favorite body style just because of the interior. They can be made to look nice though but I don't see a lot of them that look nice.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
only new edges worth buying are the cobras and mach 1s

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Takes a good deal of coin, but they can make good power n/a. My buddy built a 400rwhp n/a 2v, but he has a love for his 98. I tried to talk him into a Coyote swap instead.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
I've been seeing '05 GTs in the local craigslist for between 8-10k. That's a helluva car for the money.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back