3650 question

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
So after the input shaft what is the next piece offers issues on 5 speed when you start subjecting it to sub 1.5 60's and 600+ lbs torque? Not keen on spending 3k for 6060 or doing auto if I can invest in the 5 speed to support my occasional track trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
My synchros went out one by one. Though I don't think that was because of power. I had mine rebuilt and upgraded by Bob Hanlon of Hanlon Motorsports. He knows this tranny better than many.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
He might. I would look him up and call him. I know he builds for some bigger names. Works by himself. Located in Pa. I called around to some places and had some big transmission places on the west coast telling me to call Bob Hanlon if I want a built 3650. That sold me on going with him for my rebuild.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So after the input shaft what is the next piece offers issues on 5 speed when you start subjecting it to sub 1.5 60's and 600+ lbs torque? Not keen on spending 3k for 6060 or doing auto if I can invest in the 5 speed to support my occasional track trips

The gears are the next weak link. Specifically 3rd for some reason. The 3650 has smaller gears than a 6060 and substandard sycros.

A 6060 can be done for far less than the $3k figure you floated. It's a superior transmission. Shifts much better, handles far more power, and it has an extra gear.

I think that people only look at the extra gear and input shaft as the difference between a 3650 and 6060. The 6060 is head and shoulders above the 3650 in normal driving because of the bigger gears, and better syncros.

It's really not even a comparison except that they are both made by Tremec and both bolt up to mod motors.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I tired to piece together a 6060 and couldn't get one together for under $2300. Which is about what you could get a well built 3650 for. I would much prefer a 6060 but I just couldn't see doing it for my stock 3V.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
theres a place in Iowa called Midway Mustang Parts that busually has a take out 6060, crossmember, shifter,driveshaft,etc for around $2000 plus freight

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If you are a DIY person and have the technical aptitude, Liberty Gears makes a nice upgrade kit for the 3650. Comes in around $1200 when I checked a couple years ago. You can even go so far as to request custom gear ratios. I think they rate the upgrade at 600 ft/lbs, not positive. I looked into it a few years ago so I knew what to keep in my mind for when/if my 3650 goes south. Liberty presented the cheapest solution in quality parts. I believe there is a post in Tech archives of someone who actually did the 3650 rebuild/upgrade. Worth a search.

Bruce is correct though, beyond the power tolerances between the 3650 vs 6060, the 6060 is simply a better designed tranny regardless of what you put inside the 3650. You'll get your more bang for your buck out of a 6060 than you will from a built 3650.

46addict

Reaction score
A 6060 can be done for far less than the $3k figure you floated. It's a superior transmission. Shifts much better, handles far more power, and it has an extra gear.

Would you care to share where one could source a 6060 for that price range? Are we talking about new units?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Would you care to share where one could source a 6060 for that price range? Are we talking about new units?

I doubt you'll find them factory new for under $3k. Used/rebuilt/salvaged for under 3k from all the usual spots though. And we are on the subject of rebuilding a 3650, so I wouldn't think a used/rebuild 6060 would be out of the question. If you want new, you're better off buying a T56 for new money, and just go straight to top of the line.

You can search Tremec 6060 or GT500 Transmission on ebay and almost always have something pop up. Some deals have even come with cross members, clutches, and shifters, others just the tranny and you're on your own to source. The other method is to go hunting. Search Tempest will give you a nationwide craigslist search, although rarely have I seen a 6060 come up. However, IMO, a salvage yard is one of the best places to pick up a 6060, and they know to pack up a tranny and ship it. Most salvage yards know what they have when a GT500 rolls in for them to strip down and salvage. If you're patient, you drop your name/phone number with a salvage yard and tell them what you're after and they'll call you.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

It's been awhile but I've found deals by searching the internet. I'd start with ebay and Lapointe auto recyclers in Ohio. You will have to call them for the best price.

With patience and shopping you should be able to get a 6060 for under $2k. If you are really lucky like JeremyH was you will talk lapointe into sending you a 6060 for $1300.

Once you have the transmission all that's left is a shifter, shifter pins, trans mount, and maybe a driveshaft. Everything but the driveshaft is under $100.

Yes, you will still need a clutch but you will also need a clutch with a 26 spline input shaft on a 3650 so it can't be priced into the comparison.

BTW, Liberty Gear are the people who steered me away from sending my 3650 to them. They specifically told me that for what I was doing the gears would be the next weak link, that the syncros weren't comparable to the 6060, etc. There is a reason they put a limit on the beefed up 3650.

A friend of mine had 3rd go out on his 3650. The gear couldn't take a full power shift with about 560rhwp. There are others on this forum who have had 3rd go out on their 3650.

46addict

Reaction score
I would assume a 26 spline input shaft, among other upgraded components is a must have for hard launching on sticky tires with a power adder.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Astro performance sells remaned 6060s for $1800, which is probably were I'll get mine. Nice to not have to worry about getting a bummed used trans.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
So what can a strong locked out auto be done for by comparison?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
like mentioned the next problem is not really with launch, but with shifting, and its the syncros. and syncros can lead to broken gears because of how aggressively some people shift. A lot of people including myself can randomly get locked out of 3rd or 4th on a run.

Then there is managing engine/transmission movement. That is another reason why people get locked out of gears when racing.

Unless there is some specific reason you are keeping the 3650 I strongly recommend upgrading to another platform like the 6060, t56, or an auto.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I did my conversion to 6060 for under 2k total, however I did spend a few bucks on an MGW gen 2 ... listen to Bruce, it is a completely different unit , period.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I've driven the 6060 and it is hands down better but if I'm spending $2k I would like to know if there is an auto out there that can do what I like.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back