3M Paint Defender.. Decided to give it a try

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
..and it sucked. Was taking the mustang for a long road trip and wanted to get some protection for the front end of it. I had read about this stuff and seemed like it would work out nicely. If the product would have laid down smooth, then i could see it being great. It dried clear and was barely noticeable. But getting it to spray smooth was the hard part. It kept clogging up and spattering all over and would then spray big clumps. I tried using both the optional sprayer and just spraying it like normal, but I couldnt get it to spray smooth. It ended up looking like it had a $50 clear coat on it:biglaugh:
Since I wasn't happy with it, I left it on for the road trip and removed it once I got home. The hood portion came off super easy and in one piece. The bumper was a total PITA. My guess is that it might have been because it was sprayed on thick enough.
Some pics:

IMG_0290 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0291 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0293 by riored4v, on Flickr
Spraying it on-

IMG_0294 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0296 by riored4v, on Flickr
Removing it

IMG_0477 by riored4v, on Flickr

IMG_0478 by riored4v, on Flickr
Some pieces from removing it off the bumper

IMG_0479 by riored4v, on Flickr

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. So I guess the big question........did it do what it's supposed to do?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing this for my road trip to Mustang Week, but based on your review, I think I am just gonna use the plasti-dip, and do the same area as you did.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with it, but thanks for the info.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
I think in the future, I would go plasti-dip as well. I've used it before it was a TON easier to apply. Plus plasti-dip is a lot cheaper.

Mustang-mike

Shwetty member
Reaction score
Did you wax the areas before you sprayed it on? I heard in order to get it to come off in one nice uniform piece you need a light layer if wax on the paint.

Edit* I was actually thinking about this product, it states to put a layer of wax on the paint before you spray this on.

http://www.aacustomshield.com/

Last edited:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Did you wax the areas before you sprayed it on? I heard in order to get it to come off in one nice uniform piece you need a light layer if wax on the paint.

Edit* I was actually thinking about this product, it states to put a layer of wax on the paint before you spray this on.

No, you're right, I had read the same about the 3M.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score

The box to the right (applicator kit) is the box that comes with the wax, tarp and blue tape.

Some areas came off easy and others were a real pain. Took alot of scrubbing and glass cleaner to get it to come off.

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i can get a discount on the stuff...i have read multiple reviews and have decided to try it on my focus...i will let you know..but the thickness and how well you shake the can is a big factor i have read...

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
i can get a discount on the stuff...i have read multiple reviews and have decided to try it on my focus...i will let you know..but the thickness and how well you shake the can is a big factor i have read...

Yea, same here. It may have been a tad thin on the bumper which resulted in the difficulty removing it, but it still went on poorly. I shook the can about every minute also. I also kept trying to wipe down and shake out/off the build around the nozzle and spray applicator. Hopefully it works out better for you.

Back