4.0 build

baggeds197

Reaction score
Ok so my main question is can I run the X charger extreme and a zex 100 shot and not blow this motor all to hell.
Here's what I plan to do. Get the wiseco pistons, cams, heads, and longer studs from super six motorsports. Extreme xcharger and use about 75 shot on top. Will that be safe? It gets drove to a lot of shows then the nos would be a little something extra at the track.

baggeds197

Reaction score
Found my answer... guess I'll pass on the nos should have known better

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If you're going to go through that much trouble just to run a xcharger, go bigger and put a big turbo on there! You don't need all that engine work for most f/i applications; only when going to the extremes would you need it, and then, you're running up against limits of the block.

baggeds197

Reaction score
Well i thought about it and from what what I've seen the price is very reasonable. I've never dealt with turbo before and I'll be swapping my tyranny anyways. But isn't a manual transmission better for turbo or will auto work just as good or better?

baggeds197

Reaction score
Also I know building the motor isn't required for the xcharger or any sc I've seen but I figured if I'm doing it I might as well do it right from the inside out the first time

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would recommend picking up an 8.8 rear end off of a GT and throwing in your car as well.

baggeds197

Reaction score
Yeah I've already got one. Just gotta do some work to it. My car is bagged. Gotta weld on my brackets on it.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to go through that much trouble just to run a xcharger, go bigger and put a big turbo on there! You don't need all that engine work for most f/i applications; only when going to the extremes would you need it, and then, you're running up against limits of the block.

Like Texas said above you would be just fine. Just like Texas use to have a blown 6. I used to as well. I had Procharger pullied for 12 pounds.

baggeds197

Reaction score
Been looking into the powerhouse turbo alot. May go that route after seeing what they are capable of

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Been looking into the powerhouse turbo alot. May go that route after seeing what they are capable of

Top-notch parts. I use a boost controller with mine, but usually run it around 10 psi. An older dyno on 91 octane, it put out 349 hp and 399 tq. I've since re-tuned it for a little more "umph", but no dyno on that yet :boobies:

Oh, that is on stock block; only the valve springs were changed to reduce valve float at higher rpms, which you'll see on any dyno graph on a f/i v6.

baggeds197

Reaction score
From what I seen I could run up to 12 psi on it with stock block and internals. I may go that route before tearing into the motor to see how happy I am at that point and if not satisfied I'll build the motor and bump it up to 20

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I believe s&h just came out with a turbo kit for the 4.0s didn't they ? I'd shoot Bobby a pm on here good people

We were offering one at one point but never got enough interest in the kit so dropped it. That said, our new single kit for the v8 would need little modification by us to fit a 4.0 v6, header to midpipe is in the same basic spot as the GT as its the same chassis.
We would have to go much smaller on the turbo than billet 70mm though lol and keep boost down as low as possible 4-5psi.

Last edited:

sixxerstang

Reaction score
I've been very interested in a turbo build. Powerhouse has a turbo kit I like but I don't even know where to start on things. I know I need heads redone for anything around 12psi and up. Also wonder about rods and pistons...Heard bad things about rods from SSM stretching over time. I looked into it some more and found that mmr started selling manley forged rods and pistons. Anyone have any reviews on them? Last but not least it I want to go the whole 9 yards. Turbo cams, heads, custom intake manifold, etc. What is the biggest turbo you would go for? I was looking at 6466 from precision but also looking into something around the 7175 also. No idea what kind of lag I would get...so just trying to find someone that has a little more knowledge of turbos. Goal is max boost and if needed e85 to hit 600 to the wheels. Thanks for the input!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'd recommend you do your research on the actual realized limits (and failures) of the 4.0L block. I have not hear of anyone able to make 600, as the upper limit appears to be around 500 or less.
There should be more details on 4.0L turbo builds and some people running 'extreme' turbo setups, or have tried to, on mustangcollective.com.
For the money involved in attempting to get that kind of power from a 4.0, you are better off getting a v8.
It is your choice; just please do your research.

sixxerstang

Reaction score
I have done much research. The fastest I've seen is guys doing powerhouse turbo with a 75 shot and getting in the 10s. They made around 470/580 to the wheels I believe. The only sad thing is they were running upgraded pistons at the most. Rods seem to give out around 500/600 or in the area. Haven't actually seen anyone on a e85 setup so I don't know. I've done as much research as I can it feels but I must say I feel like there are questions still left unanswered. Once again your running into someone with sentimental value so I honestly don't want to do a engine swap but all in all may just be the best choice. I'm not shooting for any crazy 1000 whp or something. It would be nice to have something ballpark around 500 to around 700 easy for playing if I do a built v8 since I've seen so many have such better luck with it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I have done much research. The fastest I've seen is guys doing powerhouse turbo with a 75 shot and getting in the 10s. They made around 470/580 to the wheels I believe. The only sad thing is they were running upgraded pistons at the most. Rods seem to give out around 500/600 or in the area. Haven't actually seen anyone on a e85 setup so I don't know. I've done as much research as I can it feels but I must say I feel like there are questions still left unanswered. Once again your running into someone with sentimental value so I honestly don't want to do a engine swap but all in all may just be the best choice. I'm not shooting for any crazy 1000 whp or something. It would be nice to have something ballpark around 500 to around 700 easy for playing if I do a built v8 since I've seen so many have such better luck with it.

I fully understand, as I was there, looked at how to build the 4.0, and then realized, it's going to cost as much, or more, than building a v8, and the power is limited. Nonetheless, a nasty lil' o' v6 is fun as shit!
:hi:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been very interested in a turbo build. Powerhouse has a turbo kit I like but I don't even know where to start on things. I know I need heads redone for anything around 12psi and up. Also wonder about rods and pistons...Heard bad things about rods from SSM stretching over time. I looked into it some more and found that mmr started selling manley forged rods and pistons. Anyone have any reviews on them? Last but not least it I want to go the whole 9 yards. Turbo cams, heads, custom intake manifold, etc. What is the biggest turbo you would go for? I was looking at 6466 from precision but also looking into something around the 7175 also. No idea what kind of lag I would get...so just trying to find someone that has a little more knowledge of turbos. Goal is max boost and if needed e85 to hit 600 to the wheels. Thanks for the input!

Wouldn't go bigger than 60-62mm for realisticly what you can get out of the motor.

sixxerstang

Reaction score
Thanks guys for being so helpful. I think I'll just go ahead with a powerhouse kit and do dome work to the heads along with forged internals and a slightly modified transmission. Get a tune for e85 possibly and just keep it simple. Try to enjoy the v6 while I can before having to resort to a new car or engine swap. Keep in mind this is my first car so I guess ballpark 400 ish will still put a one of those shitty grins on my face when I see a V8 tehe. After that just look at using the turbo and doing a bigger single or custom twin setup on a 3v but that's later down the road.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back