4.0 to 4.6 swap question

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a grocery list so to speak for something like this? What you need, what you can re-use, what other engine/trans will work, etc. Like does it have to be out of a Mustang? Can it be Crown Vic or pickup? What the approximate cost should be for each?

Not that I am gonna do this, but since I will now have a manly garage.......

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the right mount or adapter you can bolt in almost any Ford 4.6 (or 5.4L) into an S197, the real question is which ones are worth the effort. Transmissions, for anything other than the OEM ones, there will be custom wiring, driveshafts and cross member required.

The mustang had the only all aluminum 3V engines, the ones out of F150, vans, and explorers are the iron block.

Start searching as there really isn't a list covering that broad of the possibilities you list in your original post.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do a search there have been a number of these swaps done on the forum.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is I can pick up a complete, running (new transmission) ~90k mile 05 Crown Vic PI for about $800. According to the ad it's a 2V. I didn't know if it would be worth the trouble.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is I can pick up a complete, running (new transmission) ~90k mile 05 Crown Vic PI for about $800. According to the ad it's a 2V. I didn't know if it would be worth the trouble.

I don't think going with a 2v is worth the effort. 4.0 rated @215hp vs 4.6 2v @240-ish depending on the year. I have both, and the 4.6 feels a lot faster than the v6 did. I just scrapped a Grand Marquis, and it tipped the scales at 3800 lbs. I thought those cars would be heavier.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Op the easiest thing if you want to swap another motor in would be to do a factory engine swap, ie a 4.6 3v with the factory harness swap to make it all plug and play. Now that is labor intensive though. Another idea would to go with the frpp coyote control pack but I dont know how much harder it would be to swap than swapping a 3v for a coyote. It uses its own harness to make it plug and play but would anything pertaining to the v6 harness affect anything I dont know. It actually may end up being easier than swapping in an entire new harness.

Another thing to consider is needing a new transmission (manual), shifter, brake/clutch pedal assembly if swapping from auto, clutch resivoir, drive shaft and rear end among other small things that will drive up the price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back