4.6 3v thrust washer install

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem right to me... There is a way to eliminate that stupid shim thrust piece... But you have to buy a set of bearings just to grab the rear upper one that wraps around the block.

Use just the upper rear main bearing (which is a traditional wrap around style thrust bearing) from a:

King MB5219SI

The rest of the main bearings can be from a:

King MB5281SI

(just throw away the stupid shim thing and don't use the rear upper from the MB5281SI set)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Forgot to include the King part number for the main bearing kit i'm using. It's MB5283HP. I'd prefer to just use this main bearing set. I assume King knows what they're doing, just not sure if the thrust washer is installed properly or not.

Thanks for the info msvela

Anyone have any experience with these thrust washers?

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
It's an imgur link. I couldn't upload the video here, so uploaded it to imgur and copy and pasted the link.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Huh. I guess my thrust bearing is flying around in there. Engine only turns one way so it will seat and remain in place. Tons of oil around for dampening. Make sure its not in backwards.

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be in backwards, i've got the grooves facing the face of the crank. It didn't look right to me, but i dont think it can go anywhere, and like you said it only turns one way. Was wanting to get an opinion from someone who has put 1 or 2 of these together, and if this was normal.

gbstang

Reaction score
that bearing should not move period!
probably got the wrong bearings in there,,, or the block was line bored and the wrong bearings chosen.. Whoever tells you its ok---its not!

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
I'm positive it wasn't line bored or the wrong bearings used. I bought the short block off of a guy that buys salvage vehicles and parts them out. The short block was stock when i tore it apart. The bearings should be good too, according to the King part number. Just so it's clear, the part moving isn't the bearing, it's the thrust washer/shim/spacer (whatever you want to call it).

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I've built several 4.6L 3v engines and that thrust washer doesn't move... I did note that you used a different King Bearing set than the part number I had... I'd get a hold of King bearings and see if that kit you bought is for some other application.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight msvela. The bearing set should be correct. The box has a description next to the part number that says "Ford V8 4.6L DOHC/SOHC 24V. I also looked it up in King's catalog and found below:
upload_2021-7-29_9-18-43.png
I think the MB5283HP is just the "race" bi-metal version of the part numbers you listed earlier.

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Just to have a conclusion to the thread. I spoke with King bearings through email and on the phone. They said that it is assembled correctly. I sent them the attached pictures as well. The one shows the king thrust washer and the stock one. Below is the quote from a king employee:

"Yes as I look at your video more you have it assembled correctly. The washer is free to move and it can't come out of the space its in. the shaft will only be turning in one direction it will not move back and forth like you video show. It will stay in one spot. You also need the end clearance which it provides. Your good to go."

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back