4R70W Transmission controller - what are you using?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Peter Del Pino is using a 4R70W in his 8 second car and he retained the stock shifter. I'll text him and find out what he did.

My thinking with the 4R70W has nothing (really) to do with the strength advantages. I like the extra gear in the 5R55S and I believe it is one of the main reasons these cars are so quick. The problem (outside of breakage) come with added power. More power makes the car more violent from the starting line to around 200 feet out. By taking some of the initial gearing out you "tame" the car making it easier to tune the launch. Similar to a lightweight car with a three speed switching to a 'glide. The car isn't as violent and, therefore, goes quicker once the suspension is dialed in.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Peter Del Pino is using a 4R70W in his 8 second car and he retained the stock shifter. I'll text him and find out what he did.

My thinking with the 4R70W has nothing (really) to do with the strength advantages. I like the extra gear in the 5R55S and I believe it is one of the main reasons these cars are so quick. The problem (outside of breakage) come with added power. More power makes the car more violent from the starting line to around 200 feet out. By taking some of the initial gearing out you "tame" the car making it easier to tune the launch. The car isn't as violent and, therefore, goes quicker once the suspension is dialed in.

I agree, but the fact remains that the transmission has to Release bands and apply clutches in two of the needed gear changes,[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th[/FONT]. This ultimately makes long term longevity questionable. I do agree with what you are saying. Jim said the exact same thing. I have a wounded stick right now, and I just can't see replacing all the factory stuff when I can spend the cash and have something stronger, easier and user programmable. Also, to alter the parameters of the 5r55s like I could with the 4r70w and a PCS, I'd have to buy an NGS+. Ask PDP what he did, I'm curious.

Last edited:
N

navbtcret

Yeah, let me know what you come up with. I was looking at a Turbo Action that I think may work well (kinda boring) but the B&M Hammer is nice too. Hell, if I have to, I will water jet and machine something, I have some free time. I just don't want it to look ghetto.

Not really what I had in mind..
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294925134+4294839069+115&autoview=sku

Better..
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294925134+4294839069+115&autoview=sku

I think this one is ok..

The TA Cheetah..

I think I could make any of these work well.

I have looked at all of these online but I want to see them in person for the same reason as you. I want it functional but I also want it to look like it belongs in the car.

I am currently using the stock shifter and you can do that also but everything does not align like I would like it to (not always sure what gear I am in when shifting it myself) so that is why I am going to swap over to a ratchet shifter. It'll make it easier to manually shift the car when I want to.

The 4r70w is a proven track transmission that is still very nice on the street. The 5r55s is not proven at the track over a long period of time plus you have the option of a trans brake with the 4r70w. I have not installed one yet,but that does not mean the trans will not come out at a later date to have a trans brake installed. Plus the trans tuning is so much easier with the 4r70w transmission as compared to the 5r55s.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Peter said to turn the cable around, use the existing bracket at the transmission as the basis for an "L" bracket onto the new transmission and that's about it. You will have to adjust the cable a bit in order to get the shifter into Park. The factory position for 1st gear is simply not used and you can't get the shifter to go there. Gates are identical for the rest of the gears on both transmissions.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Appreciate it bro. That was really what I figured, and what Ron mentioned earlier. I don't know which direction I am going to go. I need to get on this but everytime I turn around and think I am going to have some spare time, I have to go to work.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back