5.0 4V top end on a 4.6 short block???

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
How about dropping in the 6.2 that will be in the SVT Raptor?
hmmmm...yeeeahhhhh...i was actually talking to Brn N Rbr about that the other day at the Ford dealership while I was wheelin' and dealin' to get my wife into a new 2010 F-150 (she wound up driving home a black FX2)

i say hogging out the 2V heads on the 6.2 with some bad ass cams and 4.56 gears=lots of tire smokin' fun!

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do wish Ford did what Honda did/does and we could use heads from other engines on ours. (LS/Vtec, B20Vtec etc...) It would be sweet to have a 4.6L 4V head mate up to our 4.6L 3V!

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
I do wish Ford did what Honda did/does and we could use heads from other engines on ours. (LS/Vtec, B20Vtec etc...) It would be sweet to have a 4.6L 4V head mate up to our 4.6L 3V!

You can do it with Termi heads. Dunno about valve clearance, though.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
much easier ways to do this. use a bored block and pistons to get a 5.0L number and ported gt500 heads that will outflow the stock 4v heads on the new 5.0

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
with the cost of a longblock to do it, plus motor mounts, possibly a new k member, ect its cheaper to build a forged SB and forget the 5.0

In the 19 or so pages of 5.0, did anyone notice the writer noted that the motor mounts were located exactly where the 4.6 ones were and that it was "good news" for the S197 crowd? Later, he also said that the engineers at Ford made the motor as compact as possible? This leads me to think that maybe a new k-member and motor mounts won't be necessary. I'd be more worried about stuffing the new 6-speed in the '05-09 trans tunnel. I'm not really sure of it's size, ect...

Gerardo

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yes, the motor mounts and trans bolt pattern are the same as the prior 4.6L, so interchangability won't be a problem.

No "engine" parts will interchange though, so it will be impossible to mix and match, especially heads.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
i thought you could do 4v heads on the 4.6,just need a custom intake manifold?

You don't need a custom intake. Use a Cobra intake. Or a Sullivan intake with the custom elbow so the throttle body is at the front of the engine like our cars.

This is not rocket science, kids.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Sissssyyyyyyyy..............

I'll take the four valve stuff and you can settle with lesser valves and we'll see who wins.

I would probably take the 4v stuff if I could afford it(heck I have loads of free time anyway, at least at this point in time), but for now, I'm going to shoot for 3v stuff. And since I can't even drive yet, I'm just going to watch the others take you up on that bet. :evil:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Once you guys realize the power potential of MORE valves you'll agree. If I could use a four valve 4.6 in this car with the rules that are in place in Super Stang I'd do it in a second.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
No I understand the extra potential from the added 8 valves, it's just that it wouldn't be nearly as economical for me to mod a 4v past bolt on's compared to a 3v. I would take 4v all day also, no denying that. :)

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. The stock four valve stuff can actually take quite a bit of power before needing to be upgraded.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. The stock four valve stuff can actually take quite a bit of power before needing to be upgraded.

Agreed; BUT... Im going to let ya'll R&D for a couple years before I decide if its worth it for me :beer:

Thus, doing it right the first time... :naughty1: LOL!

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed; BUT... Im going to let ya'll R&D for a couple years before I decide if its worth it for me :beer:

Thus, doing it right the first time... :naughty1: LOL!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, plus, an inexperienced teenager like me working on a brand new mod motor with complex timing/electronics, 25% more valvetrain parts, and minimal R&D by aftermarket companies/consumers probably would be a mess. LOL

SD, that's pretty interesting to hear, although I was talking in the context of the cost of heads/cams/valvetrain on 4v's compared to 3v's, but any information is still meaningful for me, I'm up to learning anything about modular motors.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The actual cost isn't necessarily that much more either. Once you go over 16 valves in one engine the costs go up dramatically....as most people here can attest. However, once you're "immune" to the higher costs then another eight valves/springs/retainers/keepers is not that much of a hit.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Sadly for me, attaining that immunity will most likely take at least a few years, if not more. It'll still be very fun to watch the other guys test the new Coyote for that time. :)

I sure can't wait for this March and the future, this Coyote engine is going to be very interesting for me.

Gene K

forum member
Reaction score
Sure you can put the 5.0L Head on the 4.6L Block. But it will be lots more trouble than just bolting on a set of GT500 heads.

Trust me if you can put 351C V8 heads on a 300 I6 like a certain Econodragster used to run then a 5.0 head on a 4.6 would be a piece of cake. They welded everthing up, cut a cylinder off each head, welded them together, then redrilled everything from head stud holes, to water passages to pushrod passages. It think they used custom rocker arms to avoid having to move anymore of the valvetrain than absolutely required.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back