5.0 CEL Temporary Flash After WOT

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Earlier this afternoon while cruising on the interstate, I wanted to test my new short throw shifter. So I went WOT up to 140mph, right after I put it in neutral and started braking my CEL flashed for about 20 seconds or so and then stopped.

I've searched all over but can't find a definite answer. Has anyone had this happen to them? I've found numerous problems being spark plug miss, bad tune, random malfunction. I would pull my spark plugs but if it's like my old 3V it's gonna be a PIA to get them out. So I've been putting that off till I get some more info.

Performance mods are;
Boss 302 Intake Manifold
Steeda CAI
Bama 93 Race tune
27,000 miles

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
fwiw, the plugs practically take themselves out.........yes its that easy! as said check for codes, is the car running ok since? any noticable power loss?

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
This happened to me on the interstate back in early july. I wasnt even getting on it .... just flashed check engine light and i pulled off the next exit got out checked it out as well as possible. Started the car back up and nothing....Drove it to Cinccinatti and had my supercharger installed...never had a bit of trouble after that....if its running fine ...dont sweat it . Take your tuner out to the car and see if there is a code

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
This happened to me when I opened up my grill at the inlet tube feeding the CAI box. It only happened when shifting into neutral at a high speed. CEL would come on and car went into limp home mode until it was restarted. When I blocked off the grilled at the inlet (so it was like the stock CS grill), it eliminated the problem. My guess is that it allowed too much air at idle when car was at high speed, for the MAF sensor and computer to handle and generated an error. When allowing the car to slow down in gear, it never did it. I just stopped putting car in neutral at high speeds to slow down and problem solved.

Last edited:

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
Happened to me once too; in almost the same way as well.

Hasn't happened since.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Need to know the code. Use your SCT tuner to read the code(s). If no codes are found, don't worry about it since it has only happened one time.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
you can read DTCs in car without a tuner if you have the factory Nav system. Press hard buttons 3 and 6 together to access diagnostics and read DTCs.

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
Need to know the code. Use your SCT tuner to read the code(s). If no codes are found, don't worry about it since it has only happened one time.

Exactly, and that's nearly impossible given the CEL disappears so quickly.

I'm sure she's fine.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
This happened to me when I opened up my grill at the inlet tube feeding the CAI box. It only happened when shifting into neutral at a high speed. CEL would come on and car went into limp home mode until it was restarted. When I blocked off the grilled at the inlet (so it was like the stock CS grill), it eliminated the problem. My guess is that it allowed too much air at idle when car was at high speed, for the MAF sensor and computer to handle and generated an error. When allowing the car to slow down in gear, it never did it. I just stopped putting car in neutral at high speeds to slow down and problem solved.

I was thinking something like this.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
fwiw, the plugs practically take themselves out.........yes its that easy! as said check for codes, is the car running ok since? any noticable power loss?

Awesome, didn't know that, thanks for the advice! I thought I've been noticing a slight power loss but was thinking it was just me.

This sounds exactly what happened to me only my car didn't go into limp mode. So far this explanation makes the most sense to me but I think I'm still going to pull the spark plugs this week just to be sure.

Well the thing is the CEL flashed and then disappeared so there's no code to currently read.

TheRookie65

Reaction score
Well the thing is the CEL flashed and then disappeared so there's no code to currently read.

That code will be stored until the next driving cycle is completed..... It's there unless you drove more than 50 miles......

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score

That code will be stored until the next driving cycle is completed..... It's there unless you drove more than 50 miles......

Really? I did not know that. Pretty sure it's been 50 miles though but I'll check. Thanks man

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back