5.0 Dyno #'s with aluminum driveshaft?

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Shaftmasters claims that you gain 14hp and 16tq from switching to an aluminum driveshaft.
I want to know if someone has gotten any actual numbers from switching to one?
I'm very interested in getting one soon, and I was interested if anyone had information on this.

Thanks

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
That's the claim.....a tenth off your 60ft and almost 2 off your quarter mile ET. I have one in the garage waiting to be installed. I race every month so I will know soon and post my results.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Technically, you don't gain anything with a driveshaft. You free up power.

I love the Powerhouse on my '05! One of my favorite mods. However, it was also one I waited on, until I had most other bolt ons.

Come to think of it, I already had my Kenne Bell before I swapped it out.

Found a great deal (somewhat locally) on it, and I picked up a barely used one.

I never had any vibration issues with mine.

Make sure you have an adjustable UCA so you can set your pinion angle when you swap out the shaft.

I prefer -3* with a mostly street application.

Depending on your application you may want to set it a little different.

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
Shaftmasters claims that you gain 14hp and 16tq from switching to an aluminum driveshaft.
I want to know if someone has gotten any actual numbers from switching to one?
I'm very interested in getting one soon, and I was interested if anyone had information on this.

Thanks

I am actually planning on doing this mod before a tune. On the 2010 Mustangs a tune and CAI doesn't net much HP over the stock motor with a stock intake. I believe from everything I've seen that underdrive pulleys, aluminum driveshaft and some good tires are the best place to start mods for my car.

I plan on getting Enkei RPF1 rims to reduce the rotating mass on the wheels as well. Taking weight off of any of the rotating assembly after the transmission results in significantly better acceleration. I've heard that taking 10lbs. off the rotating assembly is like dropping 100lbs. off the vehicle weight. Get the driveshaft, you will not be disappointed.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
I understand that it frees up hp and doesnt really "add" it, but I was just curious as to if someone had seen any real dyno results from just adding the driveshaft

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
I understand that it frees up hp and doesnt really "add" it, but I was just curious as to if someone had seen any real dyno results from just adding the driveshaft

Do the dyno numbers really matter if they knock .15 to .2 seconds off your 1/4 mile time? Because that has been proven.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I've read several reviews by those here that installed the DS. Lots of positive tangible effects that you may not even consider. Engine braking is improved immensely. Gas milage goes up. Acceleration is improved. I want one too. Just got get passed the shipping overseas issue.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, I know without a doubt it is worth it. My friend just doesn't think that you actually gain any hp by changing the driveshaft. He thinks that all you gain is less rotational mass, but no hp difference. I told him exactly that you lose less through the drivetrain therefore you should see an increase on a dyno sheet. But I have never seen one personally. So I thought I would ask if anyone has a dyno of it.
But thanks, all of the info I got here already just made me that much more excited to get one.

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The driveshaft did nothing for me on the dyno, but I did pick up two tenths in the quarter with it.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Dyno is not the Be All / End All, Some things can not be measured with it.
MustangDyno_HiRes.jpg

Last edited:

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
The driveshaft did nothing for me on the dyno, but I did pick up two tenths in the quarter with it.

If that is the case the dyno is not very accurate. HP is a measure of the acceleration of a mass over a given distance. Without the additional weight of the driveshaft (which rotates exactly 3.73 times, or whatever you rearend gear ratio is, faster than the rear tires) your vehicle will accelerate the roller drum faster. This is the same reason motorcycle engines are so ridiculously powerful for their size. A 1000cc engine with little rotating mass can rev up very quickly because it does not have to accelerate the heavier engine internals that a car does. Any rotating mass from the engine, to the transmission, to the driveshaft, to the rear wheels and tires affects acceleration. My personal goal is to reduce that mass to as low as my wallet will practically allow me.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In general, 9 out of 10 guys doing a dyno pull (even back to back) wont show a peak gain which makes sense, since it doesnt add power it frees up power and increases acceleration. If you do see any gains its going be down real low in the rpm range on the graph since this is where you will most notice the change in inertia with the lighter ds.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
IMO, it's a low value mod. You are removing at most 25 lbs from rotating mass with a very small diameter. The diameter of the rotating mass is important. It's really not that hard to get something with a 4" diameter moving. Doing the DS is likely not worth more than removing 50 lbs of static weight. It's the difference between a full and half tank of gas.

If you got wheels/tires that were 6 pounds less per corner (for a total of -24 pounds) you'd increase acceleration to a greater degree.

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Driveshafts don't show gains on a Dyno. Maybe an improved low end acceleration will be visible, but no actual HP/TQ increases.

It is very worth the mod IMO.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing it..I am definitely wrong every now and then, but wouldn't the light weight driveshaft show a gain at the wheels? It is freeing up HP at the wheels.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Power that has been freed up does not mean it will truly show on a Dyno. It will just increase the overal acceleration.

You will not see a physical increase of HP and TQ numbers on a dyno, however, you may see a slight increase of low end acceleration on a dyno graph, or results at a track.

Installing a driveshaft is comparable/similar to running 2-3 inches in diameter less in wheels and reducing the weight. Won't see a gain in power, however, the car will accelerate faster and the results will reflect in your 1/4 time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back