5.0 engine noise when cold/mid-temp?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I've had engine noise from about 1500 miles or so.. I'm at 5K now.. It's pronounced when cold, even at a VERY light load. I can hear it clearly between 2-3K rpm. Sounds like piston slap. Apparently there are others. Just wondering what you guys think? I've built engines for 15 years, and I've had some forged pistons with short skirt profiles that made a little noise when cold. But, these cast pistons shouldn't be noisey at all.. even when cold. They aren't running but .001" or so skirt clearance, and have moly coated skirts.

Here's a video that I found.. A Ford tech mic'd up both banks, top and bottom. He found that bank one made the most noise, apparently.

Keep in mind.. this sound is being amplified, and picked up by a mic. But, regardless, it shouldn't be making this much noise!

Travis

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
idk, it does sound like piston slap, but like you said at .001 piston to wall it shouldn't have slap

maybe it actually has more clearance than that, maybe someone messed up somewhere in the machining process?

GrabberBooGT

forum member
Reaction score
It looks like this problem (and other engine ticks and knocks) has been discussed at great length on some other forums. Apparently, Ford is burying its head in the sand on this one.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, arent you the one that had transmission issues?
You must have got a monday car lol

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I get that cold engine noise first thing in the AM also. I had a similar noise in my G8 (also an aluminum block)

Once the operating temp comes up, it is gone.

5.SLOW

Reaction score
i know that make me sick that my new car makes that kind of noise. it seams ford did good to come out with new engine but i think well i hope 2012 they fix all there prob they had with the 11. good luck to figure your prob is and hope they fix it or comes out of it.

Reaction score
Ford just needs to go ahead and give you a new engine and TR6060 for your troubles...

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
lol.. that would be cool.. :)

I'm sure they'll figure it out. It's gotta be piston slap, or valvetrain noise. The biggest concern is longevity. If it's making noise, that means it's probably wearing faster than it should.. whatever it is.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Damn, arent you the one that had transmission issues?
You must have got a monday car lol

Tell me about it.. :( It's like your mom allowing you to finally buy that candy bar in the check out line.. but, then she tells you that you can't eat it. You have to just look at it/smell it. ;)

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
Im going to go off in left field here and maybe say the noise could also be the very long cam chain that while not under any large load is not tight and has a little slack and is heard at idle/ cruising. could be, could not be. throwing out some other ideas.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I bought my car last July (2010). When the weather got cold in Nov I started noticing the piston slap. I think it is piston slap because it sounds just like all the LS1 motors I had in the past. Once fully warmed up it goes away. If you are worried about longevity don't. The LS1's with the slap last forever. I think these cars are set up much looser than Ford states. My car has used a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so since day one. They always say looser is faster!

93ReefBlueLX

Reaction score
I bought my car last July (2010). When the weather got cold in Nov I started noticing the piston slap. I think it is piston slap because it sounds just like all the LS1 motors I had in the past. Once fully warmed up it goes away. If you are worried about longevity don't. The LS1's with the slap last forever. I think these cars are set up much looser than Ford states. My car has used a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so since day one. They always say looser is faster!
Yeah, but aren't hypereutectic pistons made specifically to fit tighter in the bore? I thought that was the whole advantage of hyper pistons. The silicon content aluminum pistons expand less allowing tighter piston to wall clearance. That's what I know anyway.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Yeah, but aren't hypereutectic pistons made specifically to fit tighter in the bore? I thought that was the whole advantage of hyper pistons. The silicon content aluminum pistons expand less allowing tighter piston to wall clearance. That's what I know anyway.

It is what it is. They slap when cold. There are a lot of people with the new 5.0 that are complaining about the slap. I think these motors are set up a lot looser than what Ford is saying. Just my opinion.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
It is what it is. They slap when cold. There are a lot of people with the new 5.0 that are complaining about the slap. I think these motors are set up a lot looser than what Ford is saying. Just my opinion.
they are suppose to expand less and wear less, basically they are harder than forged but more brittle ( less detonation friendly)

the new 5.0 has very short piston skirts, I have heard that can make piston slap more possible. either way on a warm engine it shouldn't be that noticeable

if it had .004 clearance with forged pistons then yeah you'd probably hear that until the engine was good and hot

the timing chain theory sounds like a possible situation also

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Why have a tech section? lol.. Of course people are going to speculate. It's human nature.

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score

Good to know I'm not alone.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Ford just needs to go ahead and give you a new engine and TR6060 for your troubles...

Boooo. Ford can shove a TR6060 up their ass. I don't ever want another one of those. I'll take the MT82 anytime.

Regarding the noise, it would probably make me nervous too. I'm at 5900 miles and haunt hear that noise at all. I've driven in everything from 90* days to 10* days, no noise. The timing chain theory is interesting, it could definitely be that in combination with the CTA variable timing. So it doesn't do it at all under a heavy load?

Jonbones

stumoc sreu itlte
Reaction score
I hear this under light load, just after start up. Nothing to worry about, just warm it up b4 you stomp on it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back