5.0 long block weight, & water pump ?

06whipple

I'm being a pain in the ass I know but I have been obsessing about what to do. Trying to decide if a forged shortblock and upping the boost to 15-17 psi is worth the cost for the power increase it would yield on pump gas. What rpm can I go up to safely with stock heads, valves, cams on a forged bottom end? If I can get at least another 125 or so foot lbs across the whole curve and get another 400-500 rpm on the top end for under 5 grand I might do it

Last edited by a moderator:

06whipple

I like the Whipple...would lose too much money on it if I went turbo

kmracer

forum member
Reaction score
i'd go with a turbo and meth injection. quite a bit of power available there.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First: the only person around here in diapers is Matt D.

Second: there is no definitive answer on that question. Truth is it all depends on a variety of conditions which all contribute to octane volatility. What works in an n/a engine won't work in a supercharged engine. What works in centrifugals won't work in a roots or twin screw. None of the above will work with turbo(s). Same answer you'll get on that "magic horsepower number with stock connecting rods" question.

It depends. Power adder, engine mileage, plugs, plug gap, fuel pressure, fuel volume, pressure in the cylinders (cams/boost/timing), available fuel quality, driving conditions, and driver common sense. All play a role in how the engine tolerates octane.

Why you gotta mention me? Just because im 20 doesn't mean i'm not up to date in this world or how things operate :damnit: lol

Ive seen alot more people on this board wear "diapers" then myself

kthnxpce

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I recommend one of my strokers. Do you really expect me to endorse someone else's stuff??? :roflmao:

Seemed like a hell of a good idea. :LMAO:

If you say so.

you jus mad you miss your clutchless 5 speed :roflmao:

Do you have any pics of the fairmount? My dad had a few 10 second street ones aswell. Such bad ass cars

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Hell no....I built that thing in the midst of a post-divorce money problem. Camera was the least of my concerns and the internet was still being used by the government only. It wasn't public. Plus, I didn't want pictures of that thing roaming around anywhere. Made too much money with it. For image sakes.....imagine a Futura model that sits like your car does now. Skinnys up front and 8" rears with a 27x9 slick. I usually put my jacket over the shifter when the car was sitting in the lanes or my pit spot. Nobody ever got a good look at the shifter. :evil:

I'll be honest....I have had thoughts of putting Butch back "relatively stock" and doing another clutchless setup in my current Fairmont. Can't race it anywhere but sure would be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I love VA riding 7 hours with a .45 between the seat and the shifter right where it should be!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back