5.0 Steeda Tri Ax Shifter

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I purchsed the Steeda Tri Ax shifter and bracket for the MT82 transmission from a fellow forum member here on S197. It was in like new condition (visually, at least). The thing looks beautifully crafted, I almost hated to cover it up with the shifter boot!

Well, I think the thing has gremlins in it, because sometimes it shifts beautifully, but other times, I want to rip it through the floor board! My problem is actually two fold...First, sometimes it wants to go into reverse when I am trying to get it into 1st. Once this happened to me at a redlight, and it was quite embarrassing to say the least! I almost backed into the car behind me! Luckily, almost all the other times this has done this has been in parking lots. And FWIW, I have been driving a stick for over 20 years, so I'm no rookie to a manual!

The second issue is that sometimes, when I am sitting at a light, with the shifter in neutral, clutch disengaged, and the light turns green, and I press in the clutch and go to put the shifter in gear, it won't go into first or second at all. I have actually had to start from third gear a few times. Again, very frustrating, and a little un-nerving when there are cars waiting behind me.

I was just wondering if any other customers have reported any issues similar to mine, or if any other forum members might be able to relate to this.

For the reverse issue, I am thinking about installing the heavy duty spring that was included with the shifter, to hopefully make it a little more difficult to go into reverse accidentally. For the second issue, I am thinking of installing the softer bracket bushing (I am currently running the hard one), or maybe even switching back to the factory bracket. I was thinking this would give the shifter a little easier route to first and second gear.

A little more background, my car is a 2013 GT base with about 7K miles on it. I think I have had the Steeda shifter and bracket on it for maybe 1000 miles or so, give or take a few. I don't know how many miles were on the shifter when I got it, but I don't think it was many, because it came off of a 2013 GT as well. And I never had any of these issues with the stock shifter. I am also still running the stock gear oil in the factory MT82, although I was thinking about switching to Amsoil synthetic to see if that would help.

If the guys at Steeda, or anyone else on the forum that might be reading this, has any input, I'd be greatly appreciative. I love the shifter, and I don't want to change it, but I don't know if I can live with it the way it's acting right now for very much longer.

Last edited:
S

Steedagus

It has been a while since we heard issues like this, back when we released the shifter back in 2011 we had some isolated reports like this.

If you are willing to send it back to us for inspection we can take it apart and go over it and rebuild the shifter if need be and upgrade it to the latest internals. Some of the internal parts in the shifter now are not the same as when it was first released.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Gus, that would be fantastic! I really love the shifter when it's performing properly, and I hate to replace it, but I really would like to see if these issues can be fixed.

Thank you for the great customer service. I will send you a PM. :beer:

Back