gtnoop

Reaction score
So I just installed this McLeod rst twin disk clutch in my 2013 gt/cs mt82 car with a McLeod aluminum flywheel, oem ford throwout bearing, and a high load roller pilot bearing in October of 2023. The car also has a dynotech one piece aluminum drive shaft. The previous clutch was an exedy single disk, turned out my clutch wasn’t even bad just had a bad slave cylinder. But finally I broke the rst in recently, about 1000 miles, and go for a WOT pull and my whole car starts to vibrate like something is grinding as I am decelerating. After that I started to notice vibrations as I’m doing pulls in 4th gear during accelerations and decelerations, but when I put the car into neutral the vibrations stop. The car did not do this before at all whenever I went wot or decelerated.

After this goes on for about a week we decided to put the car on the lift to try to replicate the vibration and the car would shake and vibrate around 80mph in 4th gear, then after getting it up to speed when I held the clutch in and let the rpm return to idle the car would vibrate as-well. Tried this again with the wheels off the vibration calmed down a bit. So I tried a different set of wheels but the car still vibrated. Put the car back on the lift tried the same procedure again but with the driveshaft disconnected and no vibration.

Some say it’s the aluminum flywheel, some say the McLeod clutches aren’t balanced, some say it can be the one piece driveshaft, and some say installation error. I don't know where to go from here so any help would be appreciated.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when you removed (disconnected) the DS for the clutch install - did you mark it and install it back in the same spot? DS have been known to cause vibrations, often times by indexing it 180* can solve the issue, it's a zero cost change (but for your time)

gtnoop

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the rear was marked and we lined that up accordingly. But where the trans connects to the driveshaft was not marked and I’m not sure if we put it back together how it was supposed to be. The flange only allows it to be one way or the other so I will try that out and see if it stops.

Roy D

Reaction score
I put a RST in my 08 GT and I had a vibration also. To find where it was coming from I put the car on a lift with it in neutral and rev it up and could feel it then. To further isolate it I removed the trans, made a brace to hold the engine up and revved it up , same result. Then I removed the clutch assembly ,revved it up and the vibration was gone. I called Mcleod they told me that they do not balance the assembly at all. So, I returned it to them and they checked the assembly and it was out of balance so they balanced it and I installed and vibration was gone. I had the RST and the lightweight flywheel. All this happened 4 to 5 years ago.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back