07 Mustang GT Clutch Job and Info

IdahoMustang

Reaction score
Doing a clutch on my mustang this weekend, wanting any advice and tips. I've only ever done clutches on big trucks or pickups, so this is different for me. It's been awhile though since I've replaced a clutch in any vehicle. I'm not entirely sure my clutch is the issue I'm having with my car, but I'm almost 100% sure and from everyone I've talked to and all the research I've done, that's what it points to. It all started in traffic about two weeks ago. All of a sudden on the way home from work, the car just simply wouldn't go into gear at all. Mind you the clutch had not slipped at all ever prior to this, but since purchasing the car it has had slight difficulty going into certain gears at times. I bought it at a dealership so have no idea how the previous owners drove the car. It only has 79k miles on it. Super clean! The clutch pedal has felt a bit soft or spongy since I've had it and I've kind of speculated that the clutch was probably on its way out and I was on borrowed time with it. The car will go into gear with the engine off and I can start it in gear but if I do, when I let off the clutch, the whole car shutters and shakes really bad and there's a slight constant buzzing/hissing type sound when in gear or trying to go into gear. If the car is running, it can also be put into gear if I really force it. Clutch pedal feels pretty spongy. Everyone has told me it's most likely the clutch and that's what I'm hoping. There is also some breakage noises coming from what sounds like the bellhousing area when trying to drive it or going into gear. Could it possibly be throw out bearing or slave cylinder? I bought a new clutch kit and flywheel and everything needed for the job, just really hoping it's not a Trans. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated! Car is mostly stock since I'm sure I'll be asked that.

20230827_123534.jpg

20230826_182115.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Replace the slave as well and have a good vac kit to get the air out after the install, my .02.

I’ve never done one so not much for me to add other than there are write ups on the site

IdahoMustang

Reaction score
I ended up getting it done. Replaced flywheel also with a lighter one, and slave. Put in roller pilot bearing. New clutch grabs almost instantly after hitting the pedal. Was worth the install! The old clutch is below.

20230917_122245.jpg

20230917_122146.jpg

20230917_104301.jpg

IdahoMustang

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought also. I've only had the car a little over a month, and the dealership carfaxed it and said 3 previous owners. Who knows how they drove it.

IdahoMustang

Reaction score
I am now getting a weird rattle/tapping noise when going into first gear almost all the time. It's pretty loud inside the car, sounds like it's coming from the pass side floorboard near where the bellhousing would be. Also having difficulty going into reverse.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I've put clutches in a '66, a 67, and a 93. That was a terrible friction plate, and it definitely jacked up your flywheel surface. Honestly, kind of surprised you could drive the car at all.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I am now getting a weird rattle/tapping noise when going into first gear almost all the time. It's pretty loud inside the car, sounds like it's coming from the pass side floorboard near where the bellhousing would be. Also having difficulty going into reverse.
Sorry to hear about the noise & reverse difficulty. I haven't experienced that, and I don't know what it is. Before you tear it down, go back through https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=1 and see if maybe you skipped a step.

brasil

Reaction score
...before you changed the clutch ..You didn´t have the shift issues -right ? So my first idea is that the linkage (shifter ) is /has / makes the trouble.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I remember a TSB back years ago on the rattle in the tranny. I have an auto so I don't remember what it was about or what the fix was. I'm sure someone will chime in about it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back