5.0 Tapping

amhamilton74

Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my 2011 gt. I let my friend drive it and was experiencing some rough idle, the car then lost oil pressure so we immediately shut it off. After waiting a few minutes we turned it on again and everything was normal, oil pressure was good and the car was idling fine. We drove about five minutes down the road and this time the car started to chop then oil pressure went out again and this time the car just died. I have a p0024 code stating camshaft position timing over advanced, the car now makes a tapping or knocking noise once warm at all rpms. Ive seen that it could be cam phasers and im honeslty not all that knowledgeable when it comes to these cars as i have only had it a year and half. Is my engine toast?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Not yet but if you continue to drive it in that state, it soon will be.
The cam phasers are oil pressure fed so it's possible they could be causing the tapping when the oil pressure drops.
The primary problem could be a failed timing chain tensioner that's caused a chain to slop around and eat through a guide. If guide debris drops into the oil pan and gets sucked into the oil pump pick-up, it'll cause a drop in oil pressure and the cam phasers will malfunction. This problem becomes increasingly common on engines that have done over 150k miles but also on lower mileage engines that have been repeatedly thrashed.
I suggest you pull the oil pan first and check underneath. You might also want to inspect at least two of the rod bearings (preferably the two at the rear that are more likely to suffer from oil starvation).

amhamilton74

Reaction score
Not yet but if you continue to drive it in that state, it soon will be.
The cam phasers are oil pressure fed so it's possible they could be causing the tapping when the oil pressure drops.
The primary problem could be a failed timing chain tensioner that's caused a chain to slop around and eat through a guide. If guide debris drops into the oil pan and gets sucked into the oil pump pick-up, it'll cause a drop in oil pressure and the cam phasers will malfunction. This problem becomes increasingly common on engines that have done over 150k miles but also on lower mileage engines that have been repeatedly thrashed.
I suggest you pull the oil pan first and check underneath. You might also want to inspect at least two of the rod bearings (preferably the two at the rear that are more likely to suffer from oil starvation).
Thank you for this, I will pull the valve covers first since I don't have a means of getting the car in the air yet

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back