500HP whipple kit- anything else to consider? Clutch, etc?

Z

zimm17

I'm making a build list for a '06 GT that I plan to buy and build up. Right away I want to install the FRP handling kit and the 500HP intercooled whipple blower.

What else is "required"? I'm assuming the clutch should be upgraded right away before it blows up. Anyone done this upgrade and have a list of what else should be modified to hold up to the HP increase? Is the cooling system adequate? I guess I'll also need a boost gauge- anything else?

I have a whipple blower in my boat on a 454 and it took a bigger oil cooler, fuel press/boost gauges, and several other mods that weren't listed up front. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

SONICBOOST

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm making a build list for a '06 GT that I plan to buy and build up. Right away I want to install the FRP handling kit and the 500HP intercooled whipple blower.

What else is "required"? I'm assuming the clutch should be upgraded right away before it blows up. Anyone done this upgrade and have a list of what else should be modified to hold up to the HP increase? Is the cooling system adequate? I guess I'll also need a boost gauge- anything else?

I have a whipple blower in my boat on a 454 and it took a bigger oil cooler, fuel press/boost gauges, and several other mods that weren't listed up front. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I don't know what comes in the frpp handling pack but you def want some lower control arms and some wider tires to handle all that power. I would strongly recommend a wideband gauge to go with your boost. This is the most important gauge in FI cars.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if your gonna track it.... the clutch will need an upgrade soon.... also a trutrac in the rear will be a good upgrade....

doing both in two weeks myself

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Clutch....mine is toast right now. You will want a boost gauge which will help indicate belt slip. If you plan on going higher in hp, then plan on tr6060 transmission swap or the T56 viper and doing your lower end of the motor. The mods never end! Oh, and don't forget the driveshaft, bracing the rear housing, and new differential. I really wish I had bought the GT500, but they were going for $80,000 at the time.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
are you talking 500 to the crank? or 500 to the wheels?

If you mean 500 to the crank, the whipple kit alone should be all you need, the motor should handle it fine. The whipple HO kit is a pretty good kit, doesn't lack anything that you need to provide yourself (from what my installer said anyway). However, gauges would be nice, but as far as cooling and other things motor related you should be good with a safe tune. I haven't heard of anyone having cooling problems with the whipple, (or any other twin screw) unless they are in a crazy hot location. That's about all that's "required", but if you drag race it, there will be other issues as mentioned (traction, and so on) that aren't really issues with the blower setup, but issues with high power period. the oil in the blower (it's self contained) needs to be changed every 100k miles, so whipple tells me anyway.

If you want 500 to the ground, I think most folks would probably recommend that you beef up the motor a bit, I believe the rods and the piston rings are the weak parts in our motors. And at that point, you'll probably need to push more fuel to the motor, bigger injectors at least, possibly better fuel pump(s). I can't answer any of the specifics on that.

I have 450hp to the ground (roughly 520-530 crank?) on an automatic. Aside from the whipple HO kit at 8psi, I have boost and A/F gauges. Then I went to the 10lb pulley and my tuner suggested I get larger injectors, so 39# injectors went in as well. (I initially went for the smaller pulley, then decided to do the 10psi pulley that came with the kit) The torque converter started slipping after the initial 8psi install, so that was replaced. Nothing else has been replaced that is power related, since the 8psi install, or the 10psi update. If I were to up the boost and/or open up the intake, I would have the motor strengthened.

Last edited:

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Whipple HO seems like a great kit because it comes with the dual fuel pumps and intercooler for a reasonable price.

I'm still waffling back and forth on whether to do the Whipple kit or just buy a 94-95 5.0 and play with THAT as a toy...

Z

zimm17

I wouldn't look for any more power over the whipple kit. So I'd plan for a clutch, maybe mufflers, and gauges.

'06 GT used $20k
whipple $6k
clutch $1k?
gauges $300

So for under $28,000 I'd have a high 11 second car that does great on the street. That's a lot cheaper than the Infiniti G37 ($43k new) or a Porsche Cayman S ($50k used) that I was looking at.

The car would be a semi-daily driver- something to drive to work and keep my 14mpg F250 turbodiesel parked in the driveway.

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The whipple will probably cost more than $6k after you factor state sales tax (if applicable), shipping, and labor (assuming you don't install it yourself).

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I would suggest long tubes and pipes to go with it. A good tune as well.
Make sure you upgrade the Mass air meter and Injectors.
Clutch, here is my take. with 485 to the tires I made one weekend on my stock clutch (read 6 1/4 passes and it was dead) upgraded to 03 Cobra clutch, made one pass and killed that even worse. tuned to 506 rwhp, Installed a SPEC 2+. I LOVE IT, Hits like a hammer now!

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would suggest long tubes and pipes to go with it. A good tune as well.
Make sure you upgrade the Mass air meter and Injectors.
Clutch, here is my take. with 485 to the tires I made one weekend on my stock clutch (read 6 1/4 passes and it was dead) upgraded to 03 Cobra clutch, made one pass and killed that even worse. tuned to 506 rwhp, Installed a SPEC 2+. I LOVE IT, Hits like a hammer now!

How's the actual feel of the SPEC 2 though? Is there a gradual grib or is it "all or nothing?"

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How's the actual feel of the SPEC 2 though? Is there a gradual grib or is it "all or nothing?"

I put a spec 2+ in my turbo gt after the stock clutch let go on the dyno. Love the clutch, not on/off at all. Almost feels stock except it holds.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It is much heavier then stock. Def took some getting used to, First weekend I had the car back, I was in Houston, and I killed the tires all weekend, took me about a month to get used to launching the car good. On the street, not so bad bscause your not loading up the rpms and droping the clutch.
I love IT!

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for!

Oh, and sorry for highjacking this thread for info...

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
The car would be a semi-daily driver- something to drive to work and keep my 14mpg F250 turbodiesel parked in the driveway.
I wouldn't get expectations of to much higher than 14mpg in the city with the mustang after the blower. Maybe 16 or 17 if you drive it lightly, but it's going to be hard to drive it lightly :samuri:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 a blown s197 is very hard to keep ur foot out of the throttle!

C

cmzracing

well here we go, my brother started this thread, and it looks like in the future its going to be dualing s197's. cant wait to see all this money thats going to be spent. but i cant wait!!!! thanks guys for the info, looks like a nice community of people here.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't look for any more power over the whipple kit. So I'd plan for a clutch, maybe mufflers, and gauges.

'06 GT used $20k
whipple $6k
clutch $1k?
gauges $300

So for under $28,000 I'd have a high 11 second car that does great on the street. That's a lot cheaper than the Infiniti G37 ($43k new) or a Porsche Cayman S ($50k used) that I was looking at.

Do you have the car already?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back