5R55S -4th Gear Lockup Questions aka Why am I Only Gaining 18 MPH on The Back Half?

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
You should really get a better torque converter... My car did the same thing as you described coming into 4th, but after the PI triple disc 3000 stall ( which is very mild for our centri superchargers mind you… a 3500 or 4000 stall would be better ) My car simply pulls like a freight train in 4th now.

If anything else, it would greatly help your 1/4 times with sticky tires.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try a few things over the summer. I will report back with results so that the solution is archived here.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try a few things over the summer. I will report back with results so that the solution is archived here.

You may have some luck working on the tune first. If its not locking up until 4800-5200 it is doing what its being commanded to.

Even if the stock converter cannot fully lock under the power, there is still something left on the table by leaving it unlocked.

I'll use my car as an example. Its an 06 GT with nitrous (125shot).

2800rpm Restalled stock core converter with a bad tune made 272 motor/382 nitrous. So, 110hp on about a 10% slip on nitrous. Car went 11.80 @ 115.4 with a lock-up tune on nitrous.

4000rpm Larger surface area single disc converter on a much better tune made 300 motor/390 nitrous. Same shot, converter is eating it up. Converter can handle the power, but wasn't designed for full throttle lock-up on nitrous (I find out after the fact). Car went 11.70 @ 115.4 with a non-lock up tune.

A good friend has had very good luck with his PI triple disc in a similar nitrous/car setup. In comparing his datalogs, his car shows 0-1% across 3rd and 4th (as commanded) and, suprise suprise, it has about 7mph on me on average.

Now I get to put a third converter, lol. Learn from my mistake, buy a triple disc designed for full-throttle lock-up in the first place if you decide to go that route.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup, great info. Thanks everyone. Good thread OP. I will have a PI triple dics by fall. No use now as I wont be racing the car in the summer heat. Big n' littles and a PI I am hoping will get me in the 11.40 range and 120 mph..:popcorneat: MY Steeda's now are bitch heavy too..

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
WOW ive been having this same issue but didnt really know how to explain it ! Looks like a new stall is in order !!! Thanks for all the info Steed, and OP ! ;)

on3uluz

Reaction score
Hey guys im straigt bolt ons and when I switched to 4.10s it became more noticeable the locking and unlocking part is there please please a way to stop it or just buy a better torque converter

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back