5w-30 or 0w-30 in a 5.0?

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I wish more people were smart like you are. Some of these knuckle draggers insist you will destroy the engine unless you follow Ford's recommendations.

I've always recommended a true synthetic 10W-30 for this application, as it will flow as well to 32*F as any off the shelf 5W-30, but will have a much lower NOACK volatility (evaporation/burn off).
Thanks. Learned it from some guy names Troy on SVT.:cheers:
Help me understand why Ford would shoot their CAFE numbers in the foot by over-weighting their oil recommendation (5W-50) just for the Track Pack cars.

If anything, this seems to indicate they know severe service requires a more-viscous oil to maintain proper oiling.
Probably because Ford doesn't manufacturer enough cars with the track pack to affect their CAFE numbers.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Help me understand why Ford would shoot their CAFE numbers in the foot by over-weighting their oil recommendation (5W-50) just for the Track Pack cars.

If anything, this seems to indicate they know severe service requires a more-viscous oil to maintain proper oiling.

Severe service (heat) does require a higher high temp\high shear spec'd lubricant. Especially for extended session road course racing. However, when it comes to Motorcraft 5W-50.....

I just received a used oil analysis report from a 2013 GT500. The lubricant only had 1,000 miles on it and had already sheared (thinned) 30% of it's virgin viscosity. Let's think about this really hard. Ford is telling everyone this is the lubricant they need for a track pack GT/Boss 302/GT500/Ford GT supercar to "protect" the engine, but in the first 1,000 miles....it's already sheared to a mid/light grade 40 weight (cSt @ 100*C was only 13.89 - Virgin is 19.9 cSt). Does this mean to protect this engine, you have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or less? No, it means Ford engineers know it shears rapidly....and they also know that a 50 grade lubricant isn't required for this engine under ANY severe use.

Guess recommending a lubricant that only YOU (Ford) has bottled by a big oil company means extra profits from the cars you sell. *Motorcraft 5W-50 is the only lubricant to carry Ford's certification code.*

Another fact, recommended doesn't mean they do not approve of other lubricants. It's just the one they would prefer you to use. However, this isn't because it will protect your engine the best. It's the one that will net them the most profits from aftermarket sales.

Now, as to your CAFE questions. I'm sure since the track cars are few in quantity, there is a loophole. Most likely....a percentage they have already figured out and increased the production of other, more fuel efficient, models to balance the scales. Besides, 5W-50 would only hurt mpg by ~1 mpg on average.

Thanks. Learned it from some guy names Troy on SVT.:cheers:

You have humbled me sir. Thank you!

there was a farmer who had a dog and BINGO was his name-O.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
All joking aside, I recall a few Ford dealers that were mixing 1 quart of 75W-90 gear oil with 7 quarts of 5W-20 for engine tick reduction.

SCreemer

Reaction score
The lubricant only had 1,000 miles on it and had already sheared (thinned) 30% of it's virgin viscosity. Let's think about this really hard. Ford is telling everyone this is the lubricant they need for a track pack GT/Boss 302/GT500/Ford GT supercar to "protect" the engine, but in the first 1,000 miles....it's already sheared to a mid/light grade 40 weight (cSt @ 100*F was only 13.89 - Virgin is 19.9 cSt). Does this mean to protect this engine, you have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or less? No, it means Ford engineers know it shears rapidly....and they also know that a 50 grade lubricant isn't required for this engine under ANY severe use.
Wow... a lot of information packed into this paragraph!

Would the type of use have an effect on the amount of thinning? 1,000 miles of easy driving as compared to, say, WOT crazy driving all the time?

Also, did you mean to write 100*C for the cSt measurement above?

Paul

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Wow... a lot of information packed into this paragraph!

Would the type of use have an effect on the amount of thinning? 1,000 miles of easy driving as compared to, say, WOT crazy driving all the time?

Also, did you mean to write 100*C for the cSt measurement above?

Paul

Yes, I did mean Celsius. Thank you for catching that. The sample came from a 2013 GT500 in the first 1,000 miles of use (brand new car). The car was driven the average way anyone would break in a new muscle car.

No matter how you drive them, the oil is degraded that rapidly. Motorcraft 5W-50 isn't the wonder that Ford makes it out to be. Here are the downfalls.....

1. Rapidly shears to a light 40 grade in 1,500 miles or less.
2. Uses cheap hydrocracked base stocks (highly refined petroleum)
3. Actually specs like a 20W-50 from 32*F and above.
4. The use of excessive VI (Viscosity Improving Polymers) to achieve a 5W-50 like grade are the reason why it shears so rapidly. These polymers wear down fast.

I'm sure I could go on, but those are the major points.

Last edited:

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I did my last oil change with Mobil One Extended 5w 30.....but will be switching to same weight Amsoil next time after reading through Unleashed Beasts posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back