60ft, lowering springs, and handling

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
So I come from the 96-04 world where stiffer lowering springs that were handling biased, pretty much meant you lost .1 in the 60'; but the car didn't handle like a minivan anymore. The only solution was somewhat soft coilovers which helped body roll a lot, and didn't sacrifice launches. My 04 mach was in the high 1.5s low 1.6s fairly consistent, with front coilovers and rear stock (stiffest short of H&R race) springs.

Reading some of the threads on here it seems life is much more complicated in S197 land. The stock shocks suck (and I've noticed this on my own as well), and lowering it you need new gt500 strut mounts, preferrably new shocks and then you have to consider the driveshaft/pinion angle, which is much more critical it seems as these cars are more prone to wheelhop.

My question is this, is there a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too setup - kind of like coilovers on the sn95/new edge - that doesn't lose you much in terms of launching/60' ability, yet stiffens up the handling a bit?

What are the must have mods - I've read that the upper control arm and mount are fairly vital in avoiding wheel hop, and the driveshaft seems to be a weak point... Question here is, if I lower it, I should be looking for a driveshaft with a rear cv joint to not worry about pinion angle, correct?

Are there any bushings that get worked up with hard launches and need to be replaced from factory rubber to something more durable? My upper control arm bushings - diff side - needed replacing every racing season it seemed on the old mustang... Stock lower control arm bushings were toast after 1 season, but the maximum motorsports poly ones were great year after year.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
What are your mods and ET goals? Auto, or manual?

Lower Control Arms are important for reducing wheel hop. Relocation brackets for the LCA help with proper anti-squat/instant center after lowering the rear of the car. The Upper arm from factory is flimsy and having an adjustable arm and mount can be helpful in tuning suspension. An adjustable panhard bar will bring the axle back to center after lowering.

The CV joint on my driveshaft is transmission side and not at the pinion.

There is a thread just below that has everyone's 60 foot times and their suspension mods.

Good luck!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Actually, the S197 is easier. It's not just a stiff spring that hurts the straight line characteristics, but it's primarily the poor geometry that results in loss of traction. With the S197, you have all kinds of options to address that. Spring rate is spring rate, simply having a coil over doesn't mean much...but the style and location of the spring, combined with the rate, and the dampening is what changes the feel on the older chassis. If you ran a 150 lb spring on a coil over kit on a 96 mustang, it definitely doesn't improve handling compared to a 450 lb in factory style spring.

Hit me up tomorrow. I am very knowledgeable on the 79-04 stuff and can easily share some info with you that will help shed some light on your new s197

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Oh and, Fosters.....that seems like a familiar username. Maybe from M1R? I used to frequent that forum, until I get banned for arguing with Birdman. Lol

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So I come from the 96-04 world where stiffer lowering springs that were handling biased, pretty much meant you lost .1 in the 60'; but the car didn't handle like a minivan anymore. The only solution was somewhat soft coilovers which helped body roll a lot, and didn't sacrifice launches. My 04 mach was in the high 1.5s low 1.6s fairly consistent, with front coilovers and rear stock (stiffest short of H&R race) springs.

Reading some of the threads on here it seems life is much more complicated in S197 land. The stock shocks suck (and I've noticed this on my own as well), and lowering it you need new gt500 strut mounts, preferrably new shocks and then you have to consider the driveshaft/pinion angle, which is much more critical it seems as these cars are more prone to wheelhop.

My question is this, is there a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too setup - kind of like coilovers on the sn95/new edge - that doesn't lose you much in terms of launching/60' ability, yet stiffens up the handling a bit?

What are the must have mods - I've read that the upper control arm and mount are fairly vital in avoiding wheel hop, and the driveshaft seems to be a weak point... Question here is, if I lower it, I should be looking for a driveshaft with a rear cv joint to not worry about pinion angle, correct?

Are there any bushings that get worked up with hard launches and need to be replaced from factory rubber to something more durable? My upper control arm bushings - diff side - needed replacing every racing season it seemed on the old mustang... Stock lower control arm bushings were toast after 1 season, but the maximum motorsports poly ones were great year after year.

My car is slammed on UPR Pro Street suspension. My best pass so far is 1.63, 10.89 @ 128 on 19" drag radials, 3870lbs with me, and in 1500' of air. This suspension setup could EASILY 60-foot better with 15" Radial Pros and a more aggressive launch, but I didn't want to break the rear axle so I ran the car in street trim.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
What are your mods and ET goals? Auto, or manual?

Lower Control Arms are important for reducing wheel hop. Relocation brackets for the LCA help with proper anti-squat/instant center after lowering the rear of the car. The Upper arm from factory is flimsy and having an adjustable arm and mount can be helpful in tuning suspension. An adjustable panhard bar will bring the axle back to center after lowering.

The CV joint on my driveshaft is transmission side and not at the pinion.

There is a thread just below that has everyone's 60 foot times and their suspension mods.

Good luck!

Goals are 11s n/a and 10s with a paxton down the road a bit. The car is a base model auto, has a 3C converter, an o/r x pipe and a Mike Rousch tune for now. Wheels and tires are coming soon, and gonna be 15" drag radials as soon as I find a deal I like - kind of hoping someone will put weld RT-Ss on some crazy special for halloween or thanksgiving :D

I looked at that thread, and it was combos varying so wildly, with power levels through the roof, that I got fairly lost quick, lol.

BMR tech - that would be me, off M1R. Sold the mach1 to a guy buying it for his 16 yr old son. Thank god i swapped it back to a 3.55 rear end (from 4.56) before I sold it. Still probably ended up in a tree somewhere :(

Appreciate the responses, I'll do more homework, but I think that's the next step after the wheels and tires.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back