Gear whine with new suspension installed, pinion seal and aligned

Reaction score
it also gets lounder, the more you apply gas and is way louder under load in gear, than lets say when i press gas in neutral with (clutch pedal up)- 1st 2nd and 3rd are stupid loud, sounds like a high pitch root style supercharger lol

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You are describing the noise transmission bearings make when warn. Poly mounts and aftermarket shifters can make the noise more noticeable. The lube you choose can influence how much noise you hear as well. Your input shaft bearings are warn and that’s why it makes racket in neutral. The pilot bearing is likely shot as well. There is a handful of other bearings inside the tranny. They are not crazy expensive and replacing them will get rid of most of that racket.

JC SSP

Reaction score
So do you have the noise at idle or while moving?

Alternator bearing going bad makes a whining (supercharger like) noise? Pull the belt off and run the car for a few seconds... see if the noise is gone.

Also, might be throw-out bearing? Raise the car on a lift and check where the noise comes from underneath...

Reaction score
it also gets lounder, the more you apply gas

Alternator bearing going bad makes a whining (supercharger like) noise? Pull the belt off and run the car for a few seconds... see if the noise is gone.

Also, might be throw-out bearing? Raise the car on a lift and check where the noise comes from underneath...
no noise at idle, only when gas is applied, doesnt matter if you move or not if gas is pressed and clutch is not pressed in, there is noise

Reaction score
You are describing the noise transmission bearings make when warn. Poly mounts and aftermarket shifters can make the noise more noticeable. The lube you choose can influence how much noise you hear as well. Your input shaft bearings are warn and that’s why it makes racket in neutral. The pilot bearing is likely shot as well. There is a handful of other bearings inside the tranny. They are not crazy expensive and replacing them will get rid of most of that racket.

Pilot bearing, throw out and clutch are less then a year old and less then 5000 miles on them, that would be sad

Reaction score
Engine running. Push in clutch, no noise. Let clutch out, noise. Transmission input shaft bearing ! And probably more. Take your mechanic for a ride and ask what he thinks about the noise.
pretty much what i will do, let clutch out - no noise, until you press gas, no noise at idle

Reaction score
Nice looking car by the way.
Appreciate that a lot, i love the car to death and i went through a lot of personal stuff with it since i bought it 5 years ago or so, pretty much my whole teenagerhood lol. I will try to make a post probably soon about whole thing it might help some people with 3vs, cause there is nothing besides trans that hasnt been touched on the car, it had shit tone of issues when i got it, heck it wasnt even driving. Still love it tho

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
pilot bearings make noise when the clutch is not depressed, not in gear. Car sitting still, at idle, not in gear, if you push the clutch pedal in and the sound goes away, that's the pilot bearing.

If it makes the sound while not moving, it's not the rear end. If it makes the sound while not in gear and not moving, then it shouldn't be the transmission either as it's not engaged.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
pilot bearings make noise when the clutch is not depressed, not in gear. Car sitting still, at idle, not in gear, if you push the clutch pedal in and the sound goes away, that's the pilot bearing.

When clutch not depressed, trans input shaft is spinning same speed as flywheel (and crank). At that point pilot is not doing anything (with regard to differential of speed between input shaft and pilot, or inner to outer pilot bearing itself spinning, if not a pilot bushing), right??

JC SSP

Reaction score
Funny I have never heard of a pilot bearing/bushing making a noise, it was always the throw-out bearing or something related to the input shaft. Always thought they served little purpose other than mating the trans shaft to the crank. The only thing it needed to be was properly seated and greased.

I researched it..

A worn or damaged pilot bearing will make a whining or grinding noise. It will be very loud if the bearing is completely damaged. It occurs whenever the crankshaft and input shaft are rotating at different speeds.

So I learned something new! Life is GOOD! :)

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing. To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.

---- from google

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score

What he said.

I've rebuilt my TR3650 a few times. There are a few old threads on this forum that you can search for that describe the process. With just a few special tools and the rebuild manuals you can do it yourself. Find all your rebuild bearings and parts here.

Pro-Force Performance; Specializing in Rebuilt Mustang Manual Transmissions in Atlanta, GA

Stan is the guy that owns this shop and he has a profile here. He knows his stuff and always seems to pop in whenever his shop is mentioned.

Last edited:

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
no noise at idle, only when gas is applied, doesnt matter if you move or not if gas is pressed and clutch is not pressed in, there is noise

Someone is going to have to explain better how it could be a pilot with clutch "not pressed in". At that point, crank, clutch disk, and hence input shaft are all spinning at the same speed.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Even in neutral with clutch pedal not pressed the gears on the input shaft, countershaft, and output shaft are constantly engaged (but not locked because you are in neutral) and if any bearings inside the transmission are worn the gears will be out of alignment and cause gear whine.

Even with ALL new bearing's and you are out of spec there will still be gear whine. There are shims inside the transmission to set clearance and preload just like a rear axle. Clearance is between .001 and .005 on the input shaft/output shaft and .01 to .004 on the counter shaft.

Bottom line is you have to remove the transmission to inspect. Visually and by feel if the pilot bearing is bad replace it. But EVERY time you go thru the trouble of removing a transmission you SHOULD replace the pilot bearing and the throw out bearing anyway because you're already there and their lifespan is limited. Add HP/Torque and sticky tires and lifespan gets even shorter.

When you remove the transmission try to wiggle the input shaft. If it moves side to side OR front to back even the slightest you've got a bad bearing somewhere and need of a full rebuild. If it doesn't wiggle AT ALL consider yourself lucky as it was just the pilot bearing or throw out bearing that you are going to replace anyway just because you are already there.

FYI - The 1st bearing to go out on the TR3650 is the input shaft. The second is the pocket bearing and needle bearing between input and output shaft. This is a stock pocket bearing with bearing cage made out of plastic (thank you Ford and Tremec) and a needle bearing that sits between the input and ouput shaft. Neither are very beefy.

pcoket bearing.jpg

needle bearing.jpg

Last edited:
Back