6R80 in my 05

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Latest newsletter from Bauman.

As always, our focus is on innovation. 2016 should see the release of our latest controller, the Quick 6, for Ford 6R80 transmissions. There are a few other projects underway, so stay tuned for future new releases.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Latest newsletter from Bauman.

As always, our focus is on innovation. 2016 should see the release of our latest controller, the Quick 6, for Ford 6R80 transmissions. There are a few other projects underway, so stay tuned for future new releases.

I will believe it when I see it. It should now be called the Bauman Unicorn...

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
paying for 2-3 years of r&d might make this thing pricey. hopefully others will produce the same technology and drive the price down some in that case.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Sub'd. Would be an awesome swap for a 5r. I have a Baumanator/4r70w in my 89 GT. Hopefully the 6r controls are just as easy to use.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I can't believe this hasn't been figured out yet [emoji35]

Yea, hopefully they figure it out before I need it. I would like to have a 6r setup ready if I ever have issues with my 4r70w. Then we can build the 4r for the kids car.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't the TCI Super Street Fighter (5R55S) a good option? It's built to take over 1000HP. I don't know the true reliability history on TCI so that's why I'm asking. The day my 3650 5 speed decides to explode I might go auto instead of a XL Magnum 6spd manual.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 5R55 has just not held for guys over 600 HP it seems, at least not for long.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Isn't the TCI Super Street Fighter (5R55S) a good option? It's built to take over 1000HP. I don't know the true reliability history on TCI so that's why I'm asking. The day my 3650 5 speed decides to explode I might go auto instead of a XL Magnum 6spd manual.

I don't think there is any 5R that will hold 1k HP. The input shaft on mine snapped at 700 RW on the first 4-3 stomp on the road. Some guys have been lucky but they are few and far between. IMO.

Mine worked well at 450-550 rwhp. After that, nothing but trouble.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

I have been looking at TCI's ratings on both their street fighter, and super street fighter for the last few years. One was 450, and the other was 650...on TCI's site. Then look at brenspeeds site... 5 mins later..and they have upped the ratings through the roof. Then look at another speed shops site..and different ratings again. Then back to TCI a year later....and different again.

The input shaft on the 5R55s is a puny thing, just 12mm.....that's just under 1/2"...hence the use of steel used.

JDM sez they will handle all sorts of power, like 900..... but this is in drag race mode, where all it does is up shift. It's the downshifts that bust the shit out of everything..esp stuff like 5-3, 5-2, 4-2. I was looking at old JDM tech notes they posted from a long time ago...and they ran into major problems if they had to do any back pedaling, get out of the gas pedal, then it would upshift, boost dropped off, then back into the gas, then boost back up, then the downshift... then kablamo on the downshift. Interesting to note that JDM trailered the race car to the track. With eng on idle, the 5r55s will never heat up to normal operating temp.....so they installed
a heater in their somewhere... I'm assuming the pan.

Apparently both TCI + Level-10 could have used better internal components..since they are available.

The super street fighter is much better than the oem version.... just don't push your luck. The 6R80 would be a better option, and can be had in a beefed up version. Everybody just has to sit..and wait.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Yep still waiting too, this Level 10 chair better hold till then. IF they do finally make a unit for our 05-10, I hope someone packages it with a complete kit option (no other parts needed) with clear internet PDF color picture instructions and possible forum swap link that users can share install information and problems. Not some photocopied crap that I still see with some products I still get.
Yeah I want it all.... cause it's going to be a pretty penny spent.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
tci's 4l80e 6spd auto conversion is the way to go so far. comes with fast controller and all sorts o goodies. and yes that's not a typo, it is a 6SPD auto. 6th gear is a push button and I and 2 others on here have had experience with these. I sold mine to a guy in washington state to go behind an 11** hp gt500. he just sent it back and had it bumped to the top tier option. waiting to hear his results

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
tci's 4l80e 6spd auto conversion is the way to go so far. comes with fast controller and all sorts o goodies. and yes that's not a typo, it is a 6SPD auto. 6th gear is a push button and I and 2 others on here have had experience with these. I sold mine to a guy in washington state to go behind an 11** hp gt500. he just sent it back and had it bumped to the top tier option. waiting to hear his results

All said and done that's probably a 7k investment? For me going from a manual to an auto, would I need a PCM for an auto using this trans or can I keep the one I have? I wonder if Lund has any experience with Ford mod motors and this trans together?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
All said and done that's probably a 7k investment? For me going from a manual to an auto, would I need a PCM for an auto using this trans or can I keep the one I have? I wonder if Lund has any experience with Ford mod motors and this trans together?

If you're asking about the TCI 4L80 6x, It uses a TCI standalone transmission controller .. pricewise, brand new with a converter and driveshaft will run over $9-K ..

You could install a built 4R100 from a Lightning for half that ,, Granted the 4R100 is a big mofo but when properly built, it's nearly indestructible ..

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If you're asking about the TCI 4L80 6x, It uses a TCI standalone transmission controller .. pricewise, brand new with a converter and driveshaft will run over $9-K ..

You could install a built 4R100 from a Lightning for half that ,, Granted the 4R100 is a big mofo but when properly built, it's nearly indestructible ..

Does the 4L80 6x or the the 4r100 fit the s197 chassis without major trans tunnel modification?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score

Damn! Pricey. I don't track the car so it's really not a justifiable expense for me. 5k I can afford so I guess I'll just stick with the Magnum XL 6spd manual upgrade when my 3650 blows up unless a 6R80 solution comes around by that time at a decent price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back