8.3L Whipple on a 5.4L GT500 Engine. What What!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
What are they using for fuel delivery?

I was just thinking about the Blackhawk helicopters I've worked on for over 20 years. Each T700C turbine engine has an HMU, Hydro-Mechanical Unit, that controls the amount of fuel flow based on control inputs. It's effectively the Fuel Injection system.

Then, down in the fuel cells, there are high speed electrical fuel pumps, one in each tank. These pumps are capable of flowing more than five gallons per minute each. However, the Blackhawk only uses, at its highest fuel burn rate, around 1400 pounds per hour. With two engines, and JP8 fuel weighing 6.8lbs per gallon, that works out to 1.7 gallons per minute, per engine. Either side fuel tank can run both engines and the APU (Auxillary Power Unit) in flight. The APU is rarely run in flight, but under certain circumstances, you will have to turn it on. If you lose one hydraulic system, the APU has to be turned on to run the third hydraulic backup pump. If you lose the #1 or #2 A/C and D/C buses, the APU has to be turned on for backup power.

That comes out to a maximum of 3.5 gallons per min to feed all three engines. I'd be willing to bet that motor, at WOT, burns close to that amount.

MyFordsFly

forum member
Reaction score
I am SOOO KIDDING---I tried to find one with a thumbs up but couldn't.

Anyway, from the school of too much is just right............I approve!

Is there anymore info on this engine? I would like to see what the shortblock and heads look like, as well as what psi the motor will be running at and expected power level. I would really like to see what car this is going in to.

I cant believe I missed this thread. Doesnt this seem familiar?

Czaker

forum member
Reaction score
I'm into the blower especially the TB. But on a 5.4L, seems pretty foolish. Built for someone with to much money that's more into shock and awe than performance. Just my opinion. The blower an TB are bad ass for sure, just not on such a small motor.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
What are they using for fuel delivery?

I was just thinking about the Blackhawk helicopters I've worked on for over 20 years. Each T700C turbine engine has an HMU, Hydro-Mechanical Unit, that controls the amount of fuel flow based on control inputs. It's effectively the Fuel Injection system.

Then, down in the fuel cells, there are high speed electrical fuel pumps, one in each tank. These pumps are capable of flowing more than five gallons per minute each. However, the Blackhawk only uses, at its highest fuel burn rate, around 1400 pounds per hour. With two engines, and JP8 fuel weighing 6.8lbs per gallon, that works out to 1.7 gallons per minute, per engine. Either side fuel tank can run both engines and the APU (Auxillary Power Unit) in flight. The APU is rarely run in flight, but under certain circumstances, you will have to turn it on. If you lose one hydraulic system, the APU has to be turned on to run the third hydraulic backup pump. If you lose the #1 or #2 A/C and D/C buses, the APU has to be turned on for backup power.

That comes out to a maximum of 3.5 gallons per min to feed all three engines. I'd be willing to bet that motor, at WOT, burns close to that amount.
It uses 8 of these
DAFV01P04_12.0147.jpg

Depending on fuel that motor could use CONSIDERABLY more fuel than that. ON E85 my car uses approx. 13.1lbs of fuel per minute, or 1.92 gallons per minute. Based on the CFM capacity of the blower (3250cfm!!!) you could potentially be stuffing 2.7x the amount of air into that combo as I could if I rang out my puny F1A for all its worth, making a huge ASSumtion that the motor could hold together and run while using that blower to its fullest capacity.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back