A Little Air + a Corvette Goes Bang

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
The recent additions of a new torque converter and LCA relocation brackets appears to have helped the car launch better. Even though the weather probably kept our ETs from being lower, it did hook and launch well enough to get a little air under the left front tire on a few passes. OK… so it’s not bumper-dragging wheelstands, but it was still pretty cool to see for the first time. :clap:

Here’s a short compilation of a few launches from July 20, 2007 at Barona.

Getting’ It Up

And Donna may not be the original “ChevyKiller”, but I think she’s earned an honorary admission to the club, and an associate title.

Donna the “Vette Killer”

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
nice work Don and Donna!!! ouch for the vette.... did he just lose control of the rear end?

don_w

Reaction score
nice work Don and Donna!!! ouch for the vette.... did he just lose control of the rear end?
He was on street tires and was fishtailing. He didn't get out of the throttle, spun clockwise across the centerline, and after about a 270 degree spin, smacked the wall. It was totally avoidable if he had just lifted instead of staying on it.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I absolutely, positively, and without a doubt HATE seeing that at the track.

On a brighter note, sweet view of the front, and this without photochoppin it; WAY TO GO Don/Donna!!!! I am a little surprised by your et's though, I had visions of 6.xx for sure. What were your 60's like???

don_w

Reaction score
I absolutely, positively, and without a doubt HATE seeing that at the track.

On a brighter note, sweet view of the front, and this without photochoppin it; WAY TO GO Don/Donna!!!! I am a little surprised by your et's though, I had visions of 6.xx for sure. What were your 60's like???
The best ET was 7.23, and the best 60' was 1.59 (two of them). The rest were in the low 1.60s. The air wasn't good last night, and I'm not sure I have it dialed in too well yet. I even tried three different tunes last night (new track tune, new street tune and old street tune)... not much difference in any of them. We made 19 runs and everything was in the 7.2 - 7.3 range.

don_w

Reaction score
Like I said, it ain't much... but it's there.

air3.jpg

Vid cap courtesy of Sixty-Six...

travelers

Reaction score
Congrats Don and Donna the car looks good launching. A little air is good. You'll probable have both in the air after you get it dialed in. Great vids as always.

don_w

Reaction score
Vette guy: Why not let up? Was he afraid of someone saying something to him? Or being beat that bad by a Mustang too much to handle?
And to top it off... that was the second time he'd gotten loose all over the track. At least the first time he kept it off the wall.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The best ET was 7.23, and the best 60' was 1.59 (two of them). The rest were in the low 1.60s. The air wasn't good last night, and I'm not sure I have it dialed in too well yet. I even tried three different tunes last night (new track tune, new street tune and old street tune)... not much difference in any of them. We made 19 runs and everything was in the 7.2 - 7.3 range.

When was the last time you checked your plugs? I hate to sound like a broken record, but it seems I foul mine every other trip to the track.....and, the dyno showed thats good for about 50-60rwhp out of the equation.

don_w

Reaction score
When was the last time you checked your plugs? I hate to sound like a broken record, but it seems I foul mine every other trip to the track.....and, the dyno showed thats good for about 50-60rwhp out of the equation.
A brand new set of HT0s went in the day we all went to Irwindale last month. 24 hours later they were fouled. I put a new set of HT1s in there the following day.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool videos!

My dad was watching the 'Vette hit the wall. He said, "what's that, a Corvette?" I said, "yeah". Then he said, "oh...oh well!". :clap:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
That's cool that you got some air :clap:. Donna you really killed the vette :thud:. Way to go you two.

don_w

Reaction score
Way to go Don. Nice picture of the front wheels, make a poster out of that one.
I dunno about a poster... but I'm thinking an avatar, maybe.

That's cool that you got some air :clap:. Donna you really killed the vette :thud:. Way to go you two.
Thanks Ed.

We missed seeing you there last night... it wasn't the same. Several of the regulars asked about you, too.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I wanted to race so bad yesterday. At least things are better with the wife at this point.
I'll be back some day and I can have fun trying to beat you

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back