About to buy longtubes, please help before I purchase

timintex

Reaction score
I have settled on pypes longtubes but I have a couple questions before I pull the plug. I just got inspect and talked to the guy about longtubes, cats, etc and what I'm going to do next year. He said hell pass me as long as I have two cats (the amount it originally came with)

The pypes lts +xpype kit
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mustangtuning_2105_388410359

Comes with 4 o2 sensor holes one at the collector and one a little ways back. I called pypes and he said I could weld in cats.. I was going to use a pair of these cause they're flat

But I don't see where to weld them in at on the pypes kit? Our cats have the o2 sensor in the cat themselves.. as well as the pypes hi flo cat kit at american muscle and the catted short h pypes I've seen for our far.. the o2 sensor is on the cat itself. I would really like the pypes kit and be able to weld in cats later. Cause I want an x pipe since I have bassani's

What should I do guys? Install pypes and drive to exhaust shop for a custom fabbed h until I want cats,... is there a place to weld in cats and it will be fine on the pypes kit like the pypes guy told me or what? What do I do! I refused to pay 400 for a catted shorty x pype when I can get a pair of hi flows for 150 and weld them in...

Thanks a bunch

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
I have settled on pypes longtubes but I have a couple questions before I pull the plug. I just got inspect and talked to the guy about longtubes, cats, etc and what I'm going to do next year. He said hell pass me as long as I have two cats (the amount it originally came with)

The pypes lts +xpype kit

Comes with 4 o2 sensor holes one at the collector and one a little ways back. I called pypes and he said I could weld in cats.. I was going to use a pair of these cause they're flat

But I don't see where to weld them in at on the pypes kit? Our cats have the o2 sensor in the cat themselves.. as well as the pypes hi flo cat kit at american muscle and the catted short h pypes I've seen for our far.. the o2 sensor is on the cat itself. I would really like the pypes kit and be able to weld in cats later. Cause I want an x pipe since I have bassani's

What should I do guys? Install pypes and drive to exhaust shop for a custom fabbed h until I want cats,... is there a place to weld in cats and it will be fine on the pypes kit like the pypes guy told me or what? What do I do! I refused to pay 400 for a catted shorty x pype when I can get a pair of hi flows for 150 and weld them in...

Thanks a bunch

I would take advantage of the exhaust shop

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Slap it on then get your cats done by the exhaust shop later on when your inspection is due.

timintex

Reaction score
But look how little space there is between the collector and the other o2 sensor? The shorty catted pypes have the cats right there by the collector with the o2 sensor in the cat themselves... is there a spot to weld in right there and is it ok weld it in between and have the o2 sensor behind the cat?

timintex

Reaction score
Also dan why is your numbers so low? Only 297 rwhp? Im 291 with just cai/axle back and a 93 tune? Is it the 20's? !!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You have 4 o2 sensors, as you probably know. The sensor (on each side) closest to the front is the most critical; it is usually in the header collector itself.

For cats, a O2 sensor can be put in the cat or after it, as long as it is past the 'catalyst' section of the cat. Whether the bung is in the middle, on the outer edge, or separate and downstream, it doesn't matter that much.
I had a Pypes catted X setup, and it all clamps together. Instead of welding, you could clamp in the cats, then remove them as needed (replacing them with a straight section of pipe of course and adjusting the tune to turn off the rear cats). Or, leave the cats in all the time. The cats were small enough to fit past the headers.

A good exhaust shop should be able to do a good job installing the setup. And look around what others have done if you need ideas.
I'm using magnaflow high-flow cats, in a custom fabricated x-pipe configuration, and the cats are in the section of piping past the transmission crossmember where the pipes angle back toward the center. I think there's a JBA or similar kit that puts the cats in the same location.
Most header kits with catted h or x pipes will use the smaller round cats mounted right after the header, and have a O2 bung a little farther (so it clears undercar components).
Plenty of options!

timintex

Reaction score
ahh I see. Oh ok well should I do h or x pipe with the bassani? I've heard full setup with x pipe bassani on a cobra 4v and it was :naughty1:

But I had an xpipe with hi flows and magnaflows mufflers on my 01 and it sounded like poop. The h sounded way better... what should I do? I'm sure I can install the headers and get the exhaust shop to make me an H pipe for way cheaper. They can drill holes for o2 sensors right? Also what about tune should I contact pypes? Or go back to the place I had it dynoed.

timintex

Reaction score
x or h pipe with the bassani axle back you guys?

Like I said my magnaflows on my 01 with the catted hi flow x pipe I got sounded not that great the h was better.

But I believe the magnaflow original muffler is a chambered / semi chambered and the bassanis are straight thru therefore the x will be a better sound?

302me

Reaction score
Timintex: I would go with the X-pipe. i just put a set of the Pypes LT's on the other day and I have an O/R Prochamber, basically and H-pipe and it's not as loud as I thought. Infact I think it's quieter when idle and normal driving. I'm going to swap to the O/R X that I got from Brenspeed.

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
Those of us that have to worry about state inspections and don't want to suffocate on the nasty fumes when sitting in traffic.

nothing smells better @ 6pm than burned up 93 octane! :thumb:

timintex

Reaction score
what should I do about tuning? Go back to the dyno place?Or is there a decent mail order? I got good numbers for my current mods... the dyno shop the guy I bought the car from got some nice numbers out of just an intake an axle back.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my pypes LTs, h pipe and hf cats from brenspeed. Tech told me they would make the cuts so the cats could be bolted in. I would call them and ask.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back