accelerator does not react quickly

hotrod69boss

Reaction score
Hey guys I own a 2013 GT/CS. This is the first 'hot rod' I have owned since back in the muscle car era. After hard acceleration when lifting my foot off the pedal the car does not react very quickly and holds the rev's up for a couple of seconds. This scares the snot out of me. When I lift I expect the car to slow down. What needs to be done to correct this ?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is the car stock? if so, this is part of the factory dashpot settings, if there's a custom tune, ask your tuner to adjust the dashpot setting

also is the car a A6 or M6 trans?

hotrod69boss

Reaction score
My car has the M6 trans. and is factory stock-no modifications of any kind. Now I have to find a reputable tuner. Can anyone recommend a tuner around the Wichita Falls, Tx. area. I guess I could always take it to the local Ford dealership.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when you let off the throttle, is the car still in gear?

hotrod69boss

Reaction score
Yes . Approaching a turn or corner- off the gas - jam the brakes- 2 or 3 seconds before revs come down.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well the engine is under load, so the rpm will not drop, try the same with the clutch depressed, if the revs don't fall, then maybe there's an issue, otherwise sounds normal

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I hate the stock throttle behavior on the 2013 coyote. It has a slight delay responding. But it never did anything that I would worry about, and never a concern slowing down.

crjackson

Reaction score
To ME... It sounds like you are expecting engine-braking when you let off the accelerator peddle. The factory tune does not provide instant engine-braking.

This is easily changed in a custom tune. Just be sure you let the tuner know about this specific desire. Some email tunes won’t enable this, while some other ones will. This is why you need to specify this to your tune provider.

hotrod69boss

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not used to these new type cars. I seem to have a delayed response when accelerating. While accelerating it seems I need to let off the gas to shift. I was told that the shifter is bolted to the transmission and the body and it might be binding. When coming into a corner I push the clutch to down shift and the motor holds the RPM up . I guess I might be an old timer and don't 'have the touch' anymore. I come from the days of Hurst super-shifters , Holley carbs, steering with the wheel and the accelerator- I think you young guys call it drifting. My wife tells me to quit whining or revive one of my old Boss 302's- they were unrefined cars compared to today but damn it I could drive one. Anyhow I thank all you guys for the info you have sent my way.

crjackson

Reaction score
I’m not a youngster either, well into my senior years.

The delays you described are pretty typical of most (if not ALL) drive by wire cars. There is no actual cable connection between the throttle pedal and the throttle body. It’s all computer controlled and this induces a delay.

The shifter on this car is a remote shifter. For better shifting, I recommend the MGW Race Spec Shifter. It’s a direct connect mount (as opposed to remote) and will eliminate the binding under torque problem that some Mustangs have. Mine has never had that problem, but my wife’s car did. MGW for the win...

Once you get enough seat time in the car, most complaints will fade away. It’s just a different personality than older models.

hotrod69boss

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice Mr.Jackson. I have only driven the car 1100 miles this past year. It being a totally perfect body with beautiful black paint I most certainly baby this car. It has helped relight my fire so that I might get back to some old projects I have, one being a 70 Boss 302 I bought in 1979 , put on jack stands at that time where it still sits untouched since then. Again thanks for the encouraging advice. --Rod

crjackson

Reaction score
It was an adjustment for me as well. It felt like something wasn’t quite right, but it was. A good tune can help regain some of the throttle response and also engine/decell braking. It’s not a perfect replacement for a mechanical connection but it does help.

Drive your beautiful black car and enjoy it while you can. Sadly we are aging faster than our cars these days, so it’s important to extract maximum enjoyment while you can.

Jgt58

Reaction score
Just fyi to the op if you don't desire a tune you can get a pedal commander...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back